Trinity Desktop R14.0.10 Released For Those Still Loving KDE 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Just one example: They need to keep Qt3 alive, that's a big non modular pile of old code.
    Qt3 is dead - it's now TQt3, which they have added new features to, fixed bugs and cleaned up code. So it's not “non-modular” as they have transformed it quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wayland is not a graphical server. You need to look in a bit deeper.
      I know, I've meant to refer to Wayland and its compositor as a graphical system. Looks like I need to be absolutely precise with my expressions or otherwise receive a good deal of flak.

Comment

Wayland is not a graphical server. You need to look in a bit deeper.
        That is part of what is wrong with it... client side decorations for instance... really...

What *should* have happened is wayland could exist as is... but would have a plugin for server side decorations from the get go... instead the original proposal was for them to never exist.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

That is part of what is wrong with it... client side decorations for instance... really...

What *should* have happened is wayland could exist as is... but would have a plugin for server side decorations from the get go... instead the original proposal was for them to never exist.
          What should happen is Weston and Mutter should support the SSD protocol immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Kwin back in 3.5 days already perfectly supported compositing.
            This is somewhat accurate. The KDE3 Kwin did support compositing, It did have it share of issues like bugs, problems with some GPU drivers and some security related issues/bugs. But the majority of those issues was actually fixed during the 3.5 days, in the KDE4 branch of Kwin(KDE3 was supported until after the 4.4 release). The accurate statement is, Kwin in back in 3.5 days already perfectly supported compositing, with Kwin4. A fact clearly communicated by the Kwin maintaineers at the time. Simply use Kwin4 with KDE 3.5.

As for Wayland support in TDE - it's highly unlikely any time soon due to brain-damaged Wayland design.
            Compositors is actually not the biggest problem in the case of TDE, support for Wayland in the toolkit is. Since it's based on Qt3 which is not Wayland ready in any way or form. The first step should be porting to a Wayland supporting toolkit, Qt6. A pure port is not that complex, the parts of Qt KDE3 uses has no changed so much, but the code base is huge so it's time consuming. At that time the compositor issue is simple, just change to the current KWin, since it would have had plenty of time improving it's Wayland support by then.

Comment

According to some Phoronix users, I'm shilling for Intel (while having a Ryzen CPU in the computer I'm typing this comment on), NVIDIA (while having owned two AMD GPUs) and now I'm shilling for X.org. I could kinda understand Intel and NVIDIA, e.g. I could have been theoretically employed by them (too bad I'm not and I have no relationship with them) but what about X.org? There's no money behind this project. There's nothing to gain for saying "bad" things about Wayland.

Now, let me tell you one thing: I don't give a flying fook about any of the companies or software products around. I talk crap when I see crap. And I'm sorry, Wayland in its current form is just crap. It has some good ideas behind it (simplicity, tear-free by design, performance) but overall it's just crap. It surely looks like a graphical server from Gnome developers for Linux/Gnome. X.org/X11 on the other hand is a universal graphics server/API which supports multiple architectures and operating systems and has multiple features built-in, features which don't need a multiple reimplementation because someone in the Xorg team decided "I want X.org to be a pet project for this other nice project I'm a part of".
              A Xorg and NVIDIA advocate, so you like to have tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

I've been using NVIDIA GPUs since the late 90s, and I haven't seen tearing in Linux for the past 15 years. Phoronix forums have turned into utter crap and most hardcore Linux fans here cannot stop lying and insluting everyone who doesn't use Linux, who doesn't love Wayland, who uses NVIDIA or Intel in any capacity. I have blacklisted you as well.

I'm using just three options to configure my NVIDIA GPU:
                Code:
                        Option          "Coolbits" "28"
                        Option          "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
                        Option          "UseNvKmsCompositionPipeline" "Off"
                Not sure if I still need the last one - I added it a long time ago, probably it's no longer necessary.

Intel and AMD drivers also require an X.org option (TearFree On) to provide a tear free experience. It is not enabled by default.
                Last edited by birdie; 05 May 2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Tearing only appears if you are not using a compositor, or if you are using hybrid graphics.

Comment

Tearing only appears if you are not using a compositor, or if you are using hybrid graphics.
                    I had tearing with KDE 4, Plasma 5 (Kwin), Unity 7 (Compiz) and GNOME (Mutter). I've never had a computer with two GPUs.

Comment

I've been using NVIDIA GPUs since the late 90s, and I haven't seen tearing in Linux for the past 15 years. Phoronix forums have turned into utter crap and most hardcore Linux fans here cannot stop lying and insluting everyone who doesn't use Linux, who doesn't love Wayland, who uses NVIDIA or Intel in any capacity. I have blacklisted you as well.

I'm using just three options to configure my NVIDIA GPU:
                      Code:
                      Option "Coolbits" "28"
                      Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
                      Option "UseNvKmsCompositionPipeline" "Off"
                      Not sure if I still need the last one - I added it a long time ago, probably it's no longer necessary.

Intel and AMD drivers also require an X.org option (TearFree On) to provide a tear free experience. It is not enabled by default.
                      You have to modify files to get a good experience with NVIDIA on Linux. Very practical.

And not, Intel and AMD experiences aren't free of tearing, but on Xorg the tearing is much less noticeable than NVIDIA, and today I don't use Xorg, so I don't have tearing.

Comment

Working...
                      X