Trinity Desktop R14.0.10 Released For Those Still Loving KDE 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I wonder why Michael informs us of releases for several alternative desktop environments like this one (or XFCE, or Enlightenment) but never about Budgie. 10.5.3 got out a few days ago, and 5 months ago 10.5.2 wasn't reported either. It likely has more users than this one.
    I'm wondering if there a particular reason (not following their channels, feud, dislike)?
    Being on as many mailing lists as Michael is, he has to prioritize which is newsworthy and which isn't.

He appears to be more in tune with patches and pushes via Git which makes sense because he does so much recompiling and benchmarking to compare the changes.

While i don't have many reasons to email him, he has answered every single one, which with the sheer amount of information he has to sort through daily, I really appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
      I wonder on how this environment will handle Wayland. I have fond memories of KDE 3.5.x but the lack of composition was a bit annoying.
      Kwin back in 3.5 days already perfectly supported compositing.

As for Wayland support in TDE - it's highly unlikely any time soon due to brain-damaged Wayland design.

Comment

I wonder on how this environment will handle Wayland.
        I guess they're just a small team of reta... developers and that would be a huge job to do, adding to the jobs that are already on their pile to keep that old stuff compiling and working. I guess they will fade away into total obscurity, even more than today.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I guess they're just a small team of reta... developers and that would be a huge job to do, adding to the jobs that are already on their pile to keep that old stuff compiling and working. I guess they will fade away into total obscurity, even more than today.
          Old stuff? Partly, yes, but they also added new features and libraries to TQt and all the other TDE stuff.

Comment

I wonder on how this environment will handle Wayland. I have fond memories of KDE 3.5.x but the lack of composition was a bit annoying.
            Compositing works fine. You can even use Compiz through a plugin if you want even more.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Kwin back in 3.5 days already perfectly supported compositing.

As for Wayland support in TDE - it's highly unlikely any time soon due to brain-damaged Wayland design.
              you sound awfully a lot like someone who posts on 4chan's /g board. making the anti wayland threads and shilling xorg.
              Last edited by fafreeman; 04 May 2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foobaz View Post
                I ran Trinity for a while and it really is a wonderful desktop environment. It feels dated but also solid and functional. It is an especially good choice for low-resolution screens, like 1366x768 and below.
                And it has proper support for xrandr (unlike KDE, which no longer supports xrandr --panning) KDE's failure to meet this drop-dead requirement for me is why I use TDE.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                  you sound awfully a lot like someone who posts on 4chan's /g board. making the anti wayland threads and shilling xorg.
                  According to some Phoronix users, I'm shilling for Intel (while having a Ryzen CPU in the computer I'm typing this comment on), NVIDIA (while having owned two AMD GPUs) and now I'm shilling for X.org. I could kinda understand Intel and NVIDIA, e.g. I could have been theoretically employed by them (too bad I'm not and I have no relationship with them) but what about X.org? There's no money behind this project. There's nothing to gain for saying "bad" things about Wayland.

Now, let me tell you one thing: I don't give a flying fook about any of the companies or software products around. I talk crap when I see crap. And I'm sorry, Wayland in its current form is just crap. It has some good ideas behind it (simplicity, tear-free by design, performance) but overall it's just crap. It surely looks like a graphical server from Gnome developers for Linux/Gnome. X.org/X11 on the other hand is a universal graphics server/API which supports multiple architectures and operating systems and has multiple features built-in, features which don't need a multiple reimplementation because someone in the Xorg team decided "I want X.org to be a pet project for this other nice project I'm a part of".
                  Last edited by birdie; 04 May 2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Old stuff? Partly, yes, but they also added new features and libraries to TQt and all the other TDE stuff.
                    Just one example: They need to keep Qt3 alive, that's a big non modular pile of old code. And there is tdelibs.... and more. Keeping that cruft alive is tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

According to some Phoronix users, I'm shilling for Intel (while having a Ryzen CPU in the computer I'm typing this comment on), NVIDIA (while having owned two AMD GPUs) and now I'm shilling for X.org. I could kinda understand Intel and NVIDIA, e.g. I could have been theoretically employed by them (too bad I'm not and I have no relationship with them) but what about X.org? There's no money behind this project. There's nothing to gain for saying "bad" things about Wayland.

Now, let me tell you one thing: I don't give a flying fook about any of the companies or software products around. I talk crap when I see crap. And I'm sorry, Wayland in its current form is just crap. It has some good ideas behind it (simplicity, tear-free by design, performance) but overall it's just crap. It surely looks like a graphical server from Gnome developers for Linux/Gnome. X.org/X11 on the other hand is a universal graphics server/API which supports multiple architectures and operating systems and has multiple features built-in, features which don't need a multiple reimplementation because someone in the Xorg team decided "I want X.org to be a pet project for this other nice project I'm a part of".
                      Wayland is not a graphical server. You need to look in a bit deeper.
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 04 May 2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X