Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Um, what?
    Nothing. Keep talking stone man.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post
      Yeah make a video and report a bug if you are sure that it is no problem with your installation.
      Again this crap. An IT pro with 20 years of experience, using only dnf install (without using any 3d-party repos) while not touching a single file on the disk is somehow installing something incorrectly. Damn. What a clusterfuck Linux on the desktop is. I will retest Wayland in Fedora 35/36, maybe by that time at least its basic functions will work without any major bugs.

Originally posted by autechy View Post

Nothing. Keep talking stone man.

A comment must contain actual content. Your trolling attempt has failed spectacularly now twice. I will ignore your insults thank you very much.
      Last edited by birdie; 01 May 2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is something really messed up about your setup. That complete list of faults with Firefox with Fedora 34 I have none of them. Yes that is weston and firefox with Wayland enabled.
        So because *you* don't have those issues means others can't? I just hope devs from any project won't follow your lead, else no bug would ever get fixed…

I know birdie can be a PITA sometimes, but that doesn't mean he can't have actual issues on a non-messed up setup.

Comment

Weston calls itself the "referene implementation", that does not mean it is, and evenso it does not mean it's free of bugs, totally 110% feature complete, blazing fast and the best there is.

It's a cardboard car on four wood wheels, a reference to show how you could make it, not the alpha prime solve all look at me. Maybe use kwin or mutter (if you must) or anything wlroots-based to be better based in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
            I urge KDE and Kubuntu developers to enable Wayland & PipeWire by default in 21.10 so that we can reach the possibility of having a stable and modern infrastructure in 22.04 LTS and not wait another 3 years to make it happen.
            A whole lot wrong with this...
            1. PipeWire very much is not stable. It's very promising, but it isn't stable. It absolutely should not yet be the default. I do agree that KDE needs better integration with it though.
            2. PW isn't suitable for everyone. It's fine for most people who just use stereo speakers, but for everyone else, it becomes lacking rather quickly. Ubuntu is meant to be accessible to the widest audience possible. PW is a good way to alienate users.
            3. PulseAudio is modern and stable. Having high CPU usage and poor latency doesn't detract from that.

Comment

If Wayland is so cool, why there are no native graphical display/login managers for it other than GDK? I refuse to install it 'cause it has an enormous number of dependencies.
              As you see, there are no volunteers to develop one, even the simplest one, like the XDM.

Comment

oiaohm

I have you BL'ed for a reason. You continue to defend Wayland even though I can reproduce critical issues with it right focking now. I refuse to deal with people who shut their ears and scream "it's your fault".
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 runs as an Xorg application and requires MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to run natively (> 99% of people out there have no idea that it's necessary and how to enable it)
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 under Weston shows the title bar and I have no idea how to disable it
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 shows certain menus outside of screen under a Wayland session. E.g. I have the "Other Bookmarks" button in the rightmost part of the bookmarks bar and when you click it only half the window which pop ups on the screen is visible - this is not an issue under X.org.
                If you're interested I can record a video and show it. Though I won't as I don't want to waste my time proving something which can be reproduced in a split second. I don't think I require too much from Wayland which has been "by all measures ready to replace X.org for three years now".
                Yes the number 1 point there I did do.
                number 2 point I did know where to go in firefox to disable title bar. Number 2 I would say is knowledge part on your part. Hamburger menu -> Customize toolbar -> [ ]Title bar (to disable that title bar in firefox)<< yes these directions work and you don't have that open in X11 firefox its how I knew I was using the wayland one for sure.
                Number 3 I had no menus outside of screen with Wayland session.

As I said there was something odd with your setup. Note I am using AMD graphics. Maybe this could be something wacky with nvidia glstream crap again.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

Support in SDDM is in work https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1379
                  They're already working on Wayland support since like 2015, and still logging to a WL session doesn't work, not to mention about running SDDM natively on WL.

Comment

I was going to help birdie out but I kept reading more of his posts and decided against it. He will just trash me any ways.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      2. PW isn't suitable for everyone. It's fine for most people who just use stereo speakers, but for everyone else, it becomes lacking rather quickly. Ubuntu is meant to be accessible to the widest audience possible. PW is a good way to alienate users.

This is kind of wrong. Pipewire itself is not really lacking in that department. What is lack is the details on distribution instructions how setup up surround sound right with pirewire at this stage. We had the same complaints when pulseaudio was being introduced that it only worked with stereo speakers as well exactly the same problem.

Like it or not 5.1 and 7.1 and so on requires configuration be it alsa, pulseaudio or pipewire. Yes there is a lag between introduction of a new feature and proper and complete documentation..

Comment

Working...
                      X