KDE Sees Another Wayland Session Crash Fix, SDDM To No Longer Require Root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You can blame the development/managed of Wayland for most of these issues. Developers were (rightly) extremely skeptical of Wayland (or they just didn't have enough time) because when Wayland was released it was just a barebones minimal protocol with a reference compositor (emphasis on reference because it wasn't a replacement for current compositors).

This means for most DE's it was incomplete, even basic things like copy and paste were not in the original protocol. This means for the good part of a decade, nothing much really happened.
    I don't blame anything, I'm just ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
      Too optimistic, unfortunately.
      State of Wayland Support for some known DEs:

Xfce:

MATE:
      LXQt:

Cinnamon:

I agree that X isn't going anyway any time soon, but there's no guarantee that any of those DEs will be relevant in 5 years either.

I actually think application support is the bigger hurdle. For instance, I can't yet screen share using Teams since it uses an older electron that doesn't support it. So for me, it doesn't matter how good a Wayland DE is right now, I can't use it. I can switch DEs much easier than I can switch certain applications.

Comment

Originally posted by stupotace View Post
        I actually think application support is the bigger hurdle. For instance, I can't yet screen share using Teams since it uses an older electron that doesn't support it. So for me, it doesn't matter how good a Wayland DE is right now, I can't use it. I can switch DEs much easier than I can switch certain applications.
        This one you really do need to take a closer look at. The pipewire/xdg portal screen share you can selectively block application from being able to access. Heck even set it so application has to ask.

Now there is a possible reason why Microsoft might be dragging foot on fixing teams wayland support other than market share. Does Teams contain a feature allowing remote party without your approval to see you screen?

The reality is even under X11 you want applications like Teams to be using the newer xdg portal system if they are not you have increased security risk due to the possible of screen capture without approval.

I see a lot of people asking for Teams to support wayland those people failed to notice the feature need for Wayland support is protection against possible faults in Teams and will improve security of teams even when running on X11. Why has Microsoft left this flaw unfixed for over 90 days now what is their motivation.

Comment

Working...
        X