Blender's "Cycles X" Showing Nice Performance But Dropping OpenCL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender's "Cycles X" Showing Nice Performance But Dropping OpenCL Support

Phoronix: Blender's "Cycles X" Showing Nice Performance But Dropping OpenCL Support

Blender's Cycles engine is celebrating its tenth birthday today and in marking the occasion, the Blender project has announced the ongoing work on "Cycles X" as what started as a research project in preparing this engine for the next ten years. It's a big step forward for Cycles but with Cycles X the OpenCL rendering kernels are being removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

New Cycles with Vulkán compute would be killer; I hope they go the Vulkán compute route if feasible, because Vulkán drivers are much more likely to be working on any given machine.

Comment

Just to make sure I haven't misunderstood anything: They are voluntarily going proprietary only when it comes to hardware acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        Just to make sure I haven't misunderstood anything: They are voluntarily going proprietary only when it comes to hardware acceleration?
        For this moment, yes. Because OpenCL is crap anyways and only works reliable where CUDA also works reliable. Maybe Vulkan will fix this, maybe Radeon ProRender will also work in future. For now, there is only Nvidia anyways. At least on Linux.

Comment

No they are removing the current OpenCL kernel as it was never really good, despite contributions from AMD. This announcement is more a teaser as it is still early development, and first release is at least 6-8 months away. By that time this new Cycles will probably have OpenCL support back, possibly Vulkan compute, and the developers are talking to Intel and AMD already.

Comment

Quote from the linked article:
            OpenCL rendering kernels. The combination of the limited Cycles split kernel implementation, driver bugs, and stalled OpenCL standard has made maintenance too difficult. We can only make the kinds of bigger changes we are working on now by starting from a clean slate.
            We are working with AMD and Intel to get the new kernels working on their GPUs, possibly using different APIs. This will not necessarily be ready for the first release, the implementation needs to reach a higher quality bar than what is there now. Long term, supporting all major GPU hardware vendors remains an important goal.

Comment

And to think coder and others berated me when I rightfully said on another thread that the market had rejected OpenCL for OneAPI and CUDA.

Yet another data point to show that.

AMD at this point should just immediately and whole sale abandon ROCm and move to OneAPI.

Codeplay has a version of OneAPI that runs on Nvidia.

Hell, even Fujitsu made an open sourced version of OneAPI to run on their ARM based Supercomputer Fugaku.

ROCm at this point is AMD's 3dNow! of GPU compute.

Comment

Not a good idea to start on CUDA... Contradicting for an open-source project to support closed-source vendor-locked standard.

Should have started with Vulkan instead....

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Not a good idea to start on CUDA... Contradicting for an open-source project to support closed-source vendor-locked standard.
                  The main Cycles developers are NVidia fanboys. So no surprise here. It was always "we implement it in CUDA, the rest is up to other people".

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

The main Cycles developers are NVidia fanboys. So no surprise here. It was always "we implement it in CUDA, the rest is up to other people".
                    So I probably wasted $1000 on a card then.

Comment

Working...
                    X