No announcement yet.

Chrome 91 Beta Brings Experimental WebTransport, WebAssembly SIMD By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 91 Beta Brings Experimental WebTransport, WebAssembly SIMD By Default

Phoronix: Chrome 91 Beta Brings Experimental WebTransport, WebAssembly SIMD By Default

Following last week's release of Chrome 90, Google on Thursday debuted their beta of next month's Chrome 91 web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking at the news in the last day or so, it seems that everybody and their cousin is lining up to oppose Google's espionage schemes over FLoC. Google's been spying on people for so many years, they probably have a dossier on every single one of us by now.

It would be nice if Google would finally deprecate all of the "peeping tom" methods out of Chrome and just build a plain browser. Google Chrome be like:

Comment

did they drop Manifest V2 API yet ?

Comment

These two Google tech rollouts will become part of the infrastructure, at least browser wise, for 6G when Terabits will be the norm and microsecond lantencies will allow things like on device holography, 8k/16k video streaming, and real time robotic control with tactile feedback, just to name a few. Progressive Web Apps (PWA) will at this point be completely indistinguishable from on device downloaded apps, in fact there may no longer be ANY downloadable apps at that point. ( I'm not sure I like this but it is coming and it is what it is )

Between WebTransport and WebAssembly SIMD and 6G_ ( and of course more ) _one could expect that instead of Google Assistant making a phone call for you to set up a dinner reservation in a natural sounding human voice with natural human diction, inflection, intonation and even pauses like "umms and ahhs" to simulate the person suddenly "thinking" , instead your phone will have already 3D scanned you, recorded and analyzed your speech and vocal patterns and will send out a 4K/8K/16K rendered 3D Avatar of you to the same restaurant via Video call while you're in the shower and the person on the other end of the call will never know they are talking to a Massively Deep Fake of you.

Ok....I just creeped myself out just a bit.
        Last edited by Jumbotron; 22 April 2021, 10:18 PM.

Comment

But not yet VA-API support in native wayland , and this is so bad.

Comment

If WebTransport allows me to get rid of things like aspera and globus, then I'm game.

Comment

You know....after thinking about this a bit more and ruminating on the history of Google and particularly the Chromebook and ChromeOS, Google is truly trying to recreate the time sharing days of the IBM System/360 and Mainframes in general.

You had your "dumb terminal" either at the Mainframe or in another room or even building. You had your account and login credentials. You entered the network along with others and you all shared "time" and compute resources on the Mainframe.

Now the Mainframe is the Google Cloud. And although it's mostly built on Open Source software and perhaps some Open Source hardware, primarily switches I would think, Google's Cloud "Mainframe" is as vertically and proprietarily built out as any IBM System/360. Instead of "Dumb Terminals" coonected by an in house network you have "Semi-Dumb" Chromebook Browser Terminals along with your Google Account Credentials which allows you access to the Google "Mainframe in the Cloud" via the network known as "The Internet". A secondary "Dumb Terminal" to the Google Mainframe in the Cloud just so happens to be your phone now.

And...just as we have all gotten use to some local autonomy and control by having the ability to download and install discreet apps into our Semi-Dumb Chromebook and Android Phone Terminals, Google is revving up the Time Machine straight back to 1964 with the rollout of "Progressive Web Apps" which will reside on Google's Mainframe in the Cloud but will look and feel like a local onboard app in our Semi-Dumb Chromebook or Android Terminal.

WebTransport, WebAssembly SIMD and 5G much less 6G will hasten the day when we all go back to the halcyon days of 1964 and the IBM/360 Mainframe and the Dumb Terminal but with a heaping sprinkling of Google Magic Dust.

And Surveillance.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                and microsecond lantencies
                How? Unless there is a way to go faster than light, it is impossible to achieve microsecond latencies between Google and a house (unless that house is located near Google's headquarters or a Google CDN).

The distance between my ISP and Google is ~7200km, which means that the absolute theoretical minimum latency (assuming a straight cable between these points) is 24ms...
                Last edited by tildearrow; 23 April 2021, 05:51 AM.

Comment

These two Google tech rollouts will become part of the infrastructure, at least browser wise, for 6G when Terabits will be the norm and microsecond lantencies
                  A microsecond is less than a quarter mile, for light in a vacuum. However, it turns out that a couple milliseconds could be acceptable for AR/VR, especially if you warp the view to match any change in pose by the viewer, when it gets to the HMD.

will allow things like on device holography, 8k/16k video streaming, and real time robotic control with tactile feedback, just to name a few.
                  You should really get off that hype train, man. That's how the industry is selling 5G, but I think the high costs of 5G infrastructure and connectivity are going to mean most of us will continue to experience a 4G world, most of the time.

Progressive Web Apps (PWA) will at this point be completely indistinguishable from on device downloaded apps, in fact there may no longer be ANY downloadable apps at that point. ( I'm not sure I like this but it is coming and it is what it is )
                  I think you misunderstand PWA. It's just a way to start using the app before it completely downloads.

Ok....I just creeped myself out just a bit.
                  Well, slap yourself out of that fever dream and maybe you won't have that problem.

Comment

You know....after thinking about this a bit more and ruminating on the history of Google and particularly the Chromebook and ChromeOS, Google is truly trying to recreate the time sharing days of the IBM System/360 and Mainframes in general.

You had your "dumb terminal" either at the Mainframe or in another room or even building. You had your account and login credentials. You entered the network along with others and you all shared "time" and compute resources on the Mainframe.

Now the Mainframe is the Google Cloud.
                    Except it's not. Google doesn't want to run all your apps, as that's expensive. They just want your data. So, we're not living in a world of phones and chromebooks as dumb terminals. They're actually quite smart and do the vast majority of the work. What lives in the cloud is your data.

And it's not like the 1960's at all, because that was when you connected to a single computer. The various computers weren't even networked! What we have now is fault-tolerant and distributed, with local caching for fast response times. Nobody in the 1960s dared even dream of that! The Internet was more than enough for them to try and get their heads around.

WebAssembly SIMD
                    And what does web assembly have to do with any of it? It's really not that different than Java Bytecode, in function. And that's been with us since the mid-90's.

You really need to check yourself, when you get wound up like this. Just ask yourself whether technology X is really instrumental to your point, or are you just slinging it around as a buzzword (like the corporates so often do).

Comment

Working...
                    X