Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.26 Released With Better Bluetooth Support, Up To 64 Channel Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

You can't use it if you need echo cancellation, unfortunately.

By the way, do someone know how am I supposed to run pipewire from the build directory in F34? I can't manage to get it working: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...60#note_886932
    There were some instructions on the page you listed but FC34 already contains a newer version of PW than that build directory.

pipewire-0.3.25-1.fc34

That update made it much more stable than the original release in the beta that crashed on me a couple of times. It hasn't crashed since this update. If you don't have this version then try enabling the updates and possibly testing repos.

Comment

PipeWire under Ubuntu 20.04 is 0.2.27, is very old. and under 21.04 is 0.3.24. But Now its version is 0.3.26.
      I made a PPA of latest upstream version of 0.3.26 to make installation process easy and it will be maintained from now. on every 15 days release cycle debian package will be released.
      Upstream 0.3.26 Version of pipewire for debian/ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        For Debian it will depend on if someone steps up to do the work, but it wont be in the release that is due any day now. It has a chance in the next release that will be aimed to take place in 2 years time.
        The timing of Debian 11 is looking just about perfect. A lot of the big bleeding-edge changes we've been seeing over the last few months absolutely call for a full two-year debug cycle to reach 'debian boring' levels of stability.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

There were some instructions on the page you listed but FC34 already contains a newer version of PW than that build directory.

pipewire-0.3.25-1.fc34

That update made it much more stable than the original release in the beta that crashed on me a couple of times. It hasn't crashed since this update. If you don't have this version then try enabling the updates and possibly testing repos.
          I did enable updates-testing but unfortunately it still crashes with 0.3.26. I would love to be able to provide an usable stack trace but unfortunately the instructions to run it from the build directory don't work for me: applications don't see any audio device.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

and to think they are unable to manage 7.1 correctly

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              and to think they are unable to manage 7.1 correctly
              Pipewire under a default wide release will see many people with issues. The minimum amount of people here saying they have no issues is just that, a tiny amount of configurations. There's a ton of audio stuff and a ton of variables. Try as hard as they might to make this, I think there will be a new flood of issues created.

I really don't want to jump on pipewire for another year at least. To me it won't be stable for a while longer with the issues they've seen only just the past few months. I'd go so far as to say Fedora made a mistake by setting it as default at this time.
              Last edited by ix900; 23 April 2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Pipewire under a default wide release will see many people with issues. The minimum amount of people here saying they have no issues is just that, a tiny amount of configurations. There's a ton of audio stuff and a ton of variables. Try as hard as they might to make this, I think there will be a new flood of issues created.

I really don't want to jump on pipewire for another year at least. To me it won't be stable for a while longer with the issues they've seen only just the past few months. I'd go so far as to say Fedora made a mistake by setting it as default at this time.
                I would disagree with that last sentence. If they made it the default in Redhat then I would agree. What attracted me to Fedora in the first place is they were always a leading edge distro and I am OK with that. I run Centos when I am looking for long term stability. Keep in mind that PW has been optional in Fedora since at least FC33 and possibly before. But now that they have made it the default they are finding bugs and fixing them quickly. For me that is a small price to pay to keep things moving forward. FC34 is still in beta and they could roll back to pulse if they had to. I highly doubt they will though as it has a pulse compatibility layer and seems to be working quite well. Pulse is still installable in FC34 so you can go that way if you need to. If you don't want to use it then don't. But Pulse has as many but different issues as PW for me, so I don't see a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Isn't Ubuntu still developing their Native Interactive Hearing sound system? I just recently saw a commit in their Bzr repo with full Upstart integration.
                  I wouldn't trash Upstart. It came before systemd, and was actually a great product that solved many of the same issues with other init systems that systemd was created to solve. It also was purely an init system, so it didn't cause issues with all the people that mock systemd for having as many modules as it does for other system functions. Not to mention it's commands were much simpler to type.

Ubuntu was on the right side of new tech on that one. If systemd hadn't come around, I expect most distros would have switched to Upstart soon.

Comment

Ubuntu was on the right side of new tech on that one. If systemd hadn't come around, I expect most distros would have switched to Upstart soon.
                    You seem to forget that Fedora (and probably RH, but don't remember exactly) did adopt Upstart and was shipped for several releases, systemd was born precisely when they realized that Upstart can't live up to its promises.

I can go into technical details if you care,
                    but generally systemd does service management correctly, while upstart was more of a hack.

Comment

Let met just reiterate what I said last time: PipeWire is promising, but it's simply too early for a broad rollout. It's experimental software at this point, and should be treated as such. It's rapidly improving in many ways, but I would have waited before Fedora 35 to roll it out. Look at the issue tracker and what people in this thread report: there are still many major issues.

I have a major issue with the latest release 0.3.26 as well: it randomly won't recognize my integrated audio. I have to restart PipeWire for this to work, sometimes several times. This is a new issue, it didn't happen in 0.3.25.

Comment

Working...
                      X