Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3.26 Released With Better Bluetooth Support, Up To 64 Channel Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.26 Released With Better Bluetooth Support, Up To 64 Channel Devices

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.26 Released With Better Bluetooth Support, Up To 64 Channel Devices

Just ahead of the Fedora Workstation 34 release where it will be the first major Linux distribution using PipeWire as a modern alternative to PulseAudio and JACK, PipeWire 0.3.26 is now available as the newest big feature release for this audio/video stream server for the modern Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pipewire works great except for one major problem. I have an on board soundcard I use to feed my wired headphones. I have an HDMI out to my monitor when I want to us speakers. I also have BT headphones. Pipe wire is endlessly getting confused about which one to use. I don't want to have to unplug stuff or reboot into the BIOS and disable devices. You can tell it through the plasma widget to use this hardware device and this application should use this devise but it just randomly changes it to what ever it wants rather constantly. I wish I could tell it use this and only this until I tell you to us that and only that. Other than that PW has been working great.

Comment

Let's add yet another layer of complexity on audio, because why not.

Comment

Does anybody know if PipeWire supports battery reporting for bluetooth audio devices?

Comment

I have a car and parts fall off it everyday but it works great lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
            Does anybody know if PipeWire supports battery reporting for bluetooth audio devices?
            It should but I haven't personally tested that functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
              Isn't that handled by a separate driver? As far as I'm concerned you should be able to get that regardless of how you play audio.

Comment

If it works so well for Fedora and the like, I wonder why Debian and Ubuntu doesn't use it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  If it works so well for Fedora and the like, I wonder why Debian and Ubuntu doesn't use it ?
                  Somebody needs to jump first to make sure the theory matches reality.

While the author of pipewire was confident that pipewire would be in good enough shape to ship with Fedora 34, I doubt many others were. The plan was that if it wasnt ready, it could be reverted and not be default for Fedora 34. That seems to not have been required.

Now that it has been proven to work, I suspect others will consider moving to it.

For Ubuntu IMO it is unlikely until atleast 22.10: It is probably too early for them to do it for 21.10 and they wont want such a big change to happen in 22.04 as they try to be more conservative for the LTS releases.

For Debian it will depend on if someone steps up to do the work, but it wont be in the release that is due any day now. It has a chance in the next release that will be aimed to take place in 2 years time.

Comment

I’ve been trying out Pipewire with Ubuntu 21.04, so far so good.

Had to mask the service though in order for the audio controls to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X