No announcement yet.

Firefox 89 Beta Released With UI Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I need a giant touch screen and eat so much that my fingers become 3 times as fat. Then I can properly utilize this tab bar.

Hopefully I can do this fast enough before they change it again.

Comment

Garbage level design, that looks awful !
      WTF happened, did Microsoft send a Elop to Mozilla to burry it too ?
      I can't believe they started again with the rounded corners crap.

Comment

While I do understand that it's desirable to modernise the UI of browsers from time to time, and that the density setting may have caused confusion for support.
        I still think this design is just not good.

Previously the active tab was visually attached to the page, which makes sense now it's just a floating circle.
        Same for the menu button attached with a small arrow.

Design wise it really just looks like they added rounded corners and padding, really does not feel like something a lot of thought went into.

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
          Those tabs look like absolute garbage...

// EDIT
          They apparently removed support for "compact" mode, which means, we are stuck with these gigantic ugly UI. At least officially. UI density setting in about:config should still work.
          Sadly, I agree. They don't even look like tabs, let alone something that would look like sections.

I dislike air/obese GUI. It's a waste of precious space (particularly vertical space which is even more precious).
          Sure it works on mobile (our fingers are too large for tiny buttons), but it doesn't on desktop. It's like they are assuming we'll be using a touch screen all the time.

I kind of feel that there is a relation between US average BMI and UI density...

Comment

If you don't like the new UI, try https://github.com/rafaelmardojai/firefox-gnome-theme

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              Firefox 88 upgrade killed my previous saved session (including all tabs that were open at that time), I lost my work, I'm furious now, where the heck did "restore previous session" feature/button go in 88?
              Why don't you install one of the many sessions managers available? To me it is unthinkable to run any browser without one.

Comment

Certainly those thing barely observable lines or fonts on UI won't help those with impaired vision or standing long hours on front of computer screens

Comment

Originally posted by board View Post

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid, is Microsoft or Apple secretly paying them to sabotage their UX? It just seems so counter-productive. I'd like Mozilla et.al. to at least try to empirically justify their decision to make their UIs fatter and more simplified, because most of us seem to object to this, and we have been objecting to it since probably the release of Gnome 3.
                  I don't think MS is behind it. The current UX they're pushing is just as horrible and wildly inconsistent with three UI styles depending on what you open -- 10, 8x, and 9x. They're too busy sabotaging themselves in the UI department to mess up other projects.

IMHO, the GNOME, copycat problem is on Ubuntu (and Debian to a lesser extent). For the longest time they were horrible stewards for KDE. When the arguably number 1 distribution seemingly sabotages the most used desktop environment next to GNOME for close to a decade -- that has a bigger effect than the other players in the game like MS & Apple.

But Apple does a UI like that. MS tries to do a UI like that. GNOME tries to do a UI like that.

Why GNOME and not Ubuntu or Red Hat? GNOME is the DE used by the majority of popular Linux distributions so it is easier for an outside, objective 3rd party to go, "Well, all of the major players and a majority of little players are trying to do a UI like that. We should too". If it were instead, "Well, all of the major players are doing a UI like that, but those Linux folks are really into a UI like this.", we might have got, "We should offer a toggle switch for this UI and that UI".

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    Firefox 88 upgrade killed my previous saved session (including all tabs that were open at that time), I lost my work, I'm furious now, where the heck did "restore previous session" feature/button go in 88?
                    Did you try about:restore?

Comment

Originally posted by fenixex View Post
                      I might be out of loop, but aren't most of you using keyboard navigation?
                      Probably not in a web browser. The browser itelf may be keyboard friendly, but web pages these days aren't. So you already have a hand on the mouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X