No announcement yet.

Firefox 88 Released With FTP Support Disabled, Support For JavaScript In PDFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 88 Released With FTP Support Disabled, Support For JavaScript In PDFs

Phoronix: Firefox 88 Released With FTP Support Disabled, Support For JavaScript In PDFs

Firefox 88.0 is out today as the latest version of Mozilla's web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re: embedded Javascript. Here is a similar request for evince/libpoppler https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/-/issues/24

I was looking forward to something like this (for some simple animations I create with tikz, in latex).
    On the other hand, I shudder at thinking of future malware taking advantage of this (if it manages to break out of the sandbox, obviously).

(Not trying to hijack the thread with gnome stuff, so please don't derail from here).

Comment

Support For JavaScript In PDFs
      this is mistake and everyone will regret later

Comment

PDF files with javascript are also used in some banks / financial companies. I remember once when we couldn't open properly some banks PDF files on linux, so we had to download in a machine with adobe reader, then use "print to PDF" to generate another file before sent to linux users.

Those pdfs also tend to brake some printers when sent directly to them, due to some firmware bug (KYOCERA FS-4200DN is one of them), forcing us to turn it off and on again, So I expected this to happen too with others.

I also hope this doesn't result in a security exploit.

Comment

So when does WebRenderer finally get turned on for all GPUs in Linux? Anyone know if there is a road map for all the other performance stuff they have been working on (servo next evolution, etc)?

Comment

• I still use FTP a fair amount to get .iso images. HTTPS encryption seems very wastful for this.
            • I never want to run any Javascript in a PDF file.

.... good to see the web and its priorities are on track!

bunch of clowns.

Comment

Why they are removing support for FTP????

What's wrong with FTP????

The fact that Dropbox doesn't support FTP means that Dropbox should support it, not that we should drop it

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                PDF files with javascript are also used in some banks / financial companies. I remember once when we couldn't open properly some banks PDF files on linux, so we had to download in a machine with adobe reader, then use "print to PDF" to generate another file before sent to linux users.

Those pdfs also tend to brake some printers when sent directly to them, due to some firmware bug (KYOCERA FS-4200DN is one of them), forcing us to turn it off and on again, So I expected this to happen too with others.

I also hope this doesn't result in a security exploit.
                PDF on linux can be some struggling endavour - eg. 3d PDF's - up to now there is only one possibility to use 3D-pdf on linux - installing the old adobe reader 9.5.5 from 2014. Its a x86 build so you need to install some older i386 libraries too. Its just a matter of time until it will be difficult to install that old package on a rather new distro release. Even with a decent modern PC it is impossible to open large 3d assemblies because the opengl backend seems to be buggy with newer distros. however it is just one issue among others.

and yes missing ftp is a real bummer....is sftp not secure enough? or is it because on ftp repos you cant push advertisment and thats why google doesnt like it. Therefore in chrome it is removed. On top of it there comes the apple effect ...oh the cool guys removed the audiojack ...lets do this too (firefox no ftp - cool) ! Or what is the problem with FTP?

edit: ftp "websites" were always my favorits because it is/was easy to find the desired file without being embedded in an ad carpet or between "yada yada nonsense .articles"
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 19 April 2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I agree, it is stupid to drop FTP support just like it was stupid to drop gopher support and not add gemini support. These extra protocols shouldn't take up much code and its not like it is hurting anyone to keep them all enabled!

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

PDF on linux can be some struggling endavour - eg. 3d PDF's - up to now there is only one possibility to use 3D-pdf on linux - installing the old adobe reader 9.5.5 from 2014. Its a x86 build so you need to install some older i386 libraries too. Its just a mather of time untli it will be difficult to install that old package on a rather new distro release. Even with a decent modern PC it is impossible to open large 3d assembles because the opengl backend seems to be buggy with newer distros. however it is just one issue among other.

and yes missing ftp is a real bummer....is sftp not secure enough? or is it because on ftp repos you cant push advertisment and thats why google doesnt like it. Therefore in chrome it is removed. On top of it there comes the apple effect ...oh the cool guys removed the audiojack ...lets do this too! Or what is the problem with FTP?
                    I personally would like native PDF readers to also open files with js (maybe not running then by default) but given the option to user to activate it when opened. For sure would be way better that going into all this trouble just to properly open a file.

Comment

Working...
                    X