KDE Will Now Let You Easily Disable Offline Updates, More KWin Crash Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Will Now Let You Easily Disable Offline Updates, More KWin Crash Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Will Now Let You Easily Disable Offline Updates, More KWin Crash Fixes

It's been another busy spring week in KDE land...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE , More feature-rich, day to day , really thank you devs.

Comment

Offline Updates needs a different name. To me that sounds like getting updates from a USB stick, DVD, or some other offline, non-networked source; not applying online, network sourced updates upon reboot (which is a terrific feature to add). The feature is literally "Apply Online Sourced Updates On Reboot" so calling it "Offline Updates" is a bit misleading.

Update Upon Reboot
      Restart Update Service
      Something Along Those Lines

I used to live miles from an internet connection and had to drive a laptop and a 2TB USB drive to use apt-mirror to clone Debian mirrors to do actual Offline Updates to a non-networked PC.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Offline Updates needs a different name. To me that sounds like getting updates from a USB stick, DVD, or some other offline, non-networked source; not applying online, network sourced updates upon reboot (which is a terrific feature to add). The feature is literally "Apply Online Sourced Updates On Reboot" so calling it "Offline Updates" is a bit misleading.

Update Upon Reboot
        Restart Update Service

I used to live miles from an internet connection and had to drive a laptop and a 2TB USB drive to use apt-mirror to clone Debian mirrors to do actual Offline Updates to a non-networked PC.
        Or you can also add new meanings to existing words for the sake of brevity, like humanity's been doing since the invention of the written word.

Comment

Offline Updates... Looks like non booting Systems because of unresolved dependencies or unexpected existing files ... not sure how they handle it.
          It doesnt mean "online" Updates are good. Specially on rolling realease distributions they cause crashes or unexpected behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Or you can also add new meanings to existing words for the sake of brevity, like humanity's been doing since the invention of the written word.
            So how do I go about changing the N word to refer to kittens?

Comment

The feature is literally "Apply Online Sourced Updates On Reboot" so calling it "Offline Updates"
              Thank you for the explanation. I was perfectly mislead by the headline.

Comment

Shave your head and tattoo the 14 words in your chest in Fraktur. You can also drink milk or make the OK gesture in social settings.
                Last edited by angrypie; 17 April 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Offline Updates needs a different name.
                  Agreed. I was pretty confused too, and it takes a bit of head-tilting to understand what it means. I thought something like the USB thing too.

I'd probably go with "Deferred Updates" though, still two words and kind of explains that updates would still happen later.

You use the word as often as you can whenever you see kittens so people get the idea. Don't forget to act naturally when you say it and not explain why so people feel it's already part of the lexicon.

Comment

Update Upon Reboot
                    Restart Update Service

Nate Graham has answered "Yeah, that’s a good point."

Comment

Working...
                    X