Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt 0.17 Released For This Lightweight Qt5 Desktop

Phoronix: LXQt 0.17 Released For This Lightweight Qt5 Desktop

For fans of LXQt or those still looking for a nice lightweight Qt5 desktop, LXQt 0.17 is out as the latest version of this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by birdie
    The negativity? I'm on X.org thank you very much and I am mostly OK with it. It's just here on Phoronix forums everything that doesn't support Wayland is "crap" (all the DEs and toolkits) or "evil" (NVIDIA).
    omg take a shower, I can smell your hypocrisy from here. You talk shit about Wayland and anything that supports it like it's somehow ruining your stock prices every chance you get.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL

Threads about smaller desktops or KDE/Qt constantly getting trolled to death by GNOME shills on this site. That's where the negativity comes from.
      The worst thing about all this infighting is that Linux already has a very limited number of users and amount of resources and newcomers, who want to give it a try, come and see all this madness. If I were to try Linux for the first time, I'd just run away from all this hostility. Instead of cooperating, supporting each other, letting people use what's best for them, "No, it's either my way or the highway". And it's not as if Wayland even works all that perfectly even in Gnome even for Intel/Radeon users. And it's even worse on r/Linux where people who disagree with the majority are often banned on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        The worst thing about all this infighting is that Linux already has a very limited number of users and amount of resources
        You stated the problem. There is a limited amount of resources to go around. The there is no enough to keep on maintaining x.org X11 server on bare metal.

There is resources to maintain Gnome, KDE and XWayland.

Yes those stating they want to keep on using X11 on bare metal were is the resources to maintain it going come from? They are never able to answer that question. Instead are expecting someelse to pick up the bill who happens to really be MR Nobody.

Please note the new gnome feature Privacy Screen Support. Feature like this that are security features that you just lost when you booted a laptop with Linux because X11 was insecure crap so why bother we are going to see appearing now.

Comment

An instant turn off for most Phoronix readers - "if it doesn't support Wayland it's outdated crap and it must burn in hell".
          Well, it's QT based, so the most of the bits are there. According to the devs and what you can read on their GitHub, there are only a few small things like KWindowSystem which have some kind of X11 dependency but since those are all KDE APIs, it should be relatively easy to update them once KDE has full wayland support. The biggest issue is the compositor (or window manager in X terms).
          There are considering either creating a new wayland-compliant compositor or using KWin or some other existing compositor like Waybox (OpenBox wayland port) and Orbit. I think that the best way to go about it, is to use something existing, preferably KWin. The LXQt team went the smart way and reused quite a few existing components, so they will probably choose an existing compositor and will have something working in 2 years or so.

Xfce is in a similar situation. I'm expecting them to be Wayland ready before LXQt, considering Xfce is a bigger project.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are no screenshots available. And I'm not blaming Michael, there is not a single screenshot in the github announcement.

We are not children looking for shiny stuff to be awed at, but visuals are still a good way to feel these things. Nerds sometimes forget that. Visuals matter.

Comment

Originally posted by StanGenchev View Post
              Xfce is in a similar situation. I'm expecting them to be Wayland ready before LXQt, considering Xfce is a bigger project.

XFCE on their roadmap is the option to cease to be a DE in the Wayland world and instead just be a collection of light weight applications.

--Wayland compositors which were written from scratch like Weston or sway will never run as a x11 window manager. But others which started as x11 window managers such as kwin or mutter still keep their x11 window management code--

This here from the xfce roadmap is ceasing to be true. Both kwin and mutter are removing their x11 window management code because it really does not agree with what wayland allows functionality. There is nasty problem with X11 design that does not allow the output rendering to be massively multi-threaded. Increasing core count is another reason why X11 design is path to hell long term. .

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE change was covered here. The reality is going forwards none of the major Wayland compositors will be based on old x11 windows manager code at all.

Comment

Originally posted by StanGenchev View Post
                The biggest issue is the compositor (or window manager in X terms).
                I'm perfectly aware of that. Too bad this issue stands in the face of each minor DE which wants to support Wayland which kinda speaks volumes about Wayland, its design, usability and APIs. But Wayland proponents will say it's all working as intended. Is it working though? Even KDE/Kwin is still fixing issues although they started over two years ago and that's a major project with decent financial support. LXQt, XFCE, IceWM, JWM, Enlightenment all get zero funding.
                Last edited by birdie; 15 April 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Too bad this issue stands in the face of each minor DE which wants to support Wayland which kinda speaks volumes about Wayland, its design, usability and APIs.
                  They had to implement their own or use someone else's Xorg compositor before. Now they have to implement their own or use someone else's Wayland compositor.

Even KDE/Kwin is still fixing issues although they started over two years ago and that's a major project with decent financial support.
                  Imagine what, Kwin is still working on their Xorg support and trying to get its disgusting hacks out of the code like syncing the screen to a timer offset of vblank. It just recently got mildly better with https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/507 merged. Xfce's compositor still did not properly sync to vblank at all on some drivers until 2018. Requiring buffering or how the Nvidia fanboy would call it "[X] Force full composition pipeline"

LXQt, XFCE, IceWM, JWM, Enlightenment all get zero funding.
                  Beside that Enlightment is already done with their Wayland support for years, the other ones can simply join one leading compositor project like they did when they recycled the code of others to build their Xorg compositor.

If you wanna troll, at least deliver some quality.

Comment

The negativity? I'm on X.org thank you very much and I am mostly OK with it. It's just here on Phoronix forums everything that doesn't support Wayland is "crap" (all the DEs and toolkits) or "evil" (NVIDIA).
                    Pffff, really? Why? If you're happy with your setup, why caring what others think of it? My setup has received flak since I first used it in 1998, It still supported, get updated, remain interesting for me. Same for you, Xorg and Nvidia, who is in there for the money, so it is financial profitable for them, supports your setup quite well. Better than Wayland I might add. So, why the negativity, do you really need the world agreeing with you?

Comment

Working...
                    X