X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myownfriend
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    Gnome did a great job making app search, workspace management, and app launcher to be in one place. And here we have good folk from system86 wants to seperate them into three different button.
    Personally that's one of this things I don't like about Gnome. While I like the idea of workspaces and the expose-like window fly-out thing, and think they make sense to put in the same space, I don't really use them. Sometimes I stream and I use my second monitor for everything being streamed. I really hate that Gnome temporary causes all of the windows to re-position on my stream monitor when I bring up the application launcher on my OBS/chat monitor.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    I don't get it what people love about the GNOME desktop, the performance improvements only made it usable somewhat recently. I find the workflow KDE provides more intuitive and effective for my purposes. Of course KDE still has a lot of its own problems, stability and lack of innovation in the compositor and its render backend come to my mind (which I care about), but from the design philosophy, it is more sound and doesn't force its way of doing things on to the user. Some Gnome-derivatives like Budgie are fine with me, too. Maybe I was simply not willing to invest too much time to get it customized to how I wanted it to be.

I am curious if System76 wants to go into the direction of correcting some of GNOME's deliberate design choices...

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by sb56637 View Post
    Does this extension wrap their window tiling functionality as well? Will it work in other distros?
    Separate extensions that provide a coherent and complete experience out of the box. Patches to GNOME Settings would not work on other distributions, unless they package GNOME Settings with our patches to add these new settings panels.

Leave a comment:

• sb56637
    replied
    Does this extension wrap their window tiling functionality as well? Will it work in other distros?

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Gnome did a great job making app search, workspace management, and app launcher to be in one place. And here we have good folk from system86 wants to seperate them into three different button.

Leave a comment:

• rene
    replied
    Is it April 1st already? Sounds like the year of the Linux desktop is finally here! :-/

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    It’s just an extension.
    Amazing how many people don't read the links around here

Leave a comment:

• indepe
    replied
    Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    I hope they keep it maintained as some sort of patch set/diff/extension set on top of Gnome rather than a hard fork, there's a lot of improvement going into e.g. Mutter that I would hate to see not be taken advantage of. (From a quick glance, most/all of what they are doing is implementable as extensions.)
    If only Gnome could come up with a long time stable extension interface... really long time...

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    I hope they keep it maintained as some sort of patch set/diff/extension set on top of Gnome rather than a hard fork, there's a lot of improvement going into e.g. Mutter that I would hate to see not be taken advantage of. (From a quick glance, most/all of what they are doing is implementable as extensions.)

Leave a comment:

• StarterX4
    replied
    Thought they're developing a brand new DE, not a GNOME3 fork.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X