X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I'm guessing Windows users fall into three groups.

Those who dislike the Metro/flat scheme and the UI that came with it (Windows 8+) - may prefer Budgie

Those who like the Metro/flat scheme and the UI that came with it - may like COSMIC (or Gnome itself)

Those who like the art style but not the functionality, or the other way around - may be out of luck?

I have long wondered how the numbers fall out in that breakdown. Many people claim a majority for whatever style they want to pursue, but I haven't seen any hard figures.
    Windows user may like KDE*
    Mac User may like Gnome

The majority of Windows user is still like: .."where is my start icon and menu in the left lower corner!?!"

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied
    Hum gnome based, I was hoping about a fresh and clean Rust based code base but nop.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    Originally posted by System76
    We’re searching for Windows and macOS users to experience COSMIC firsthand.
    I'm guessing Windows users fall into three groups.

Those who dislike the Metro/flat scheme and the UI that came with it (Windows 8+) - may prefer Budgie

Those who like the Metro/flat scheme and the UI that came with it - may like COSMIC (or Gnome itself)

Those who like the art style but not the functionality, or the other way around - may be out of luck?

I have long wondered how the numbers fall out in that breakdown. Many people claim a majority for whatever style they want to pursue, but I haven't seen any hard figures.

Leave a comment:

• gedgon
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

GNOME has never visually pleased me, feels outdated to me, nor worked right for me out-of-the-box (manual tweaking was definitely needed!). I've never felt like I could "get the job done" with GNOME either. The closest to all of that IMHO is Deepin, which I'm happily using partly since 15.10 and full-time since 20.0. Looks visually pleasing, modern, is coherent, simple, stays out of the way and has sane defaults OOTB.
    Whatever floats your boat. Like I said. Different people, different needs.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by gedgon View Post

Different people, different needs. I prefer GNOME because it's ready to use OOTB (it's sane defaults doesn't require two weeks of tinkering before is usable), stays out of the way, is simple, gets job done, is visually pleasing, is boring and yet modern, and way, way less buggy than Plasma.
    GNOME has never visually pleased me, feels outdated to me, nor worked right for me out-of-the-box (manual tweaking was definitely needed!). I've never felt like I could "get the job done" with GNOME either. The closest to all of that IMHO is Deepin, which I'm happily using partly since 15.10 and full-time since 20.0. Looks visually pleasing, modern, is coherent, simple, stays out of the way and has sane defaults OOTB.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post
    Wasnt it the KDE Project who wanted something like this: Providing the technology to build whatever desktop on top of its technology without fragmenting the project?
    Years later the community is at this point, but it is GNOME, not KDE, with desktops like:Ubuntu Shell, Endless Shell, PHOSH, and now COSMIC that are extensions, where every single one of them also contributes to GNOME upstream. It's nice to see the community finally comming together, while still keep an own identity.
    With KDE you have alternatives based on their foundation too, like LiquidShell for example, which is basically Plasma 5 Lite. And Deepin also uses some KDE libraries. But yeah, most of the big names use GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    I don't get it what people love about the GNOME desktop
    I don't think it's the "desktop" specifically, but the applications. There's coherence in the UI design of all of the applications and I generally prefer the gnome ones over the KDE ones from a usability standpoint.

Their defaults are garbage though.

Leave a comment:

• dekernel
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    Used to use kde before all the weird plasmid things hit, then switched to cinnamon. I don't need popping out things and 4d puzzles. Just want to be able to launch a damn app and move shit around without hunting for it. Perhaps that's what S76's aim is here, which would be welcome.
    This is exactly why I am still using LXDE. It does everything I need and nothing more. Simple, elegant and fast.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Just curious, how many of the you liked Ubuntu Unity?
    I am currently using Ubuntu derivative with Unity 7, and I found unity to be superior on my single 21:9 monitor.

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied
    You can’t build a palace on top of a trash heap

Leave a comment:

Working...
X