No announcement yet.

KDE KWin Introducing Item-Based Scenes For Improved Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they should focus on kwin instead of a notepad clone that didn't support basic features

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

I really wonder if KWinFT will keep up against KWin. I'm also in favor of simplification over addition. We'll see how it pans out.
      If there only was a ppa for KWinFT.

Comment

I see we have a new GNOME cheerleader/troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          they should focus on kwin instead of a notepad clone that didn't support basic features
          I don't mean to be rude, but you say that for every DE out there?
          Because in case you didn't notice there are tons of notepad clones...

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
            I don't mean to be rude, but you say that for every DE out there?
            Because in case you didn't notice there are tons of notepad clones...
            ...and plenty of volunteer developers who know how to work on a notepad clone but not KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              It took them almost 10 years to create the Wayland protocol (it's just a protocol), it is not clear why the support of compositor should be faster.
              That presumes for the past 10 years there has been no work that is not case. Also that overlooks that now that X.org X11 on bare metal is basically dead resources can taken away from the development in that area and focused into Wayland.

Development on KDE will start moving faster now in the direction of Wayland support how much faster that a open question. Yes Nvidia finally getting around to do somethings required for proper Wayland support starts this process off as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

It took them almost 10 years to create the Wayland protocol (it's just a protocol), it is not clear why the support of compositor should be faster.
                With everything seemingly coming together now I wonder whether 2021 will be the year when X.org (except for Xwayland) will get EOL'd.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

With everything seemingly coming together now I wonder whether 2021 will be the year when X.org (except for Xwayland) will get EOL'd.
                  That year was 2018, 10th of may. Thats the date 1.20.0 was released and since then its in maintainance mode. So basically EOL. I dont expect that the bugfix releases will stop.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                    That year was 2018, 10th of may. Thats the date 1.20.0 was released and since then its in maintainance mode. So basically EOL. I dont expect that the bugfix releases will stop.
                    RHEL 8 in 2019 when X.org X11 on bare metal was not on the officially supported listed. And with Redhat/IBM putting a developer forwards for Xwayland and not one for baremetal this tells us bugfix release will stop. Question is how soon. Could be under a year once the major distributions are in a position to say use Wayland or no support.

Comment

We were at this type of architecture many years ago, where distinct GUI objects, in your favorite toolkit, had a native associated windows underneath. It has been abandoned and instead the GUI library uses only one native window and GUI objects are decoupled.

Comment

Working...
                      X