KDE KWin Introducing Item-Based Scenes For Improved Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE KWin Introducing Item-Based Scenes For Improved Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE KWin Introducing Item-Based Scenes For Improved Wayland Support

More KDE KWin Wayland improvements are coming down the pipe...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again KDE moving forward...Thank you devs.

Comment

If this means that tabs can be detached and reattached to browsers/file managers/etc. like they already could be done previously in X11 then I'm all in favor of it.

Comment

I had deja vu reading this description. Oh yes, here it goes:

The new version of KWinFT contains a monumental rewrite of its windowing logic. Read on for an overview of the changes and why this rewrite was necessary.

An introduction to child windows and related ideas, what is an important mental model on X11 just as much as on Wayland.

The internal handling of window children on Wayland as on X11 has been reorganized in the latest version of KWinFT. A quick overview of the new implementation.

Comment

Honestly I am impressed how nothing they managed to do nearly nothing for 6 years and now put such a speed on the road.
          I like whatever helpes the ecosystem to move away from X on Metal ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            I had deja vu reading this description. Oh yes, here it goes:

The new version of KWinFT contains a monumental rewrite of its windowing logic. Read on for an overview of the changes and why this rewrite was necessary.

An introduction to child windows and related ideas, what is an important mental model on X11 just as much as on Wayland.

https://subdiff.org/blog/2021/curious-child/
            Yep. Also the first thing that came to my mind, and exactly the design KWinFT's contributor was criticizing in his blog post.

I really wonder if KWinFT will keep up against KWin. I'm also in favor of simplification over addition. We'll see how it pans out.

Comment

I finally worked around all the DPI issues I had when using KDE/Wayland just to notice that GTK applications like Firefox don't export global appmenus when launched under a Wayland session. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Honestly I am impressed how nothing they managed to do nearly nothing for 6 years and now put such a speed on the road.
                Not doing what you want doesn't mean they did nothing. They broke down the whole KDE Frameworks into smaller, more maintainable modules, instead of chasing wild geese.

Comment

GNOME had glaring performance issues and sat on their asses for years, until Canonical stepped up. The guy writing a gargantuan GJS patch right now is also a Canonical employee.

If you're going to criticize KDE for being slow, at least be coherent.

Comment

It took them almost 10 years to create the Wayland protocol (it's just a protocol), it is not clear why the support of compositor should be faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X