No announcement yet.

KDE KWin Introducing Item-Based Scenes For Improved Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine that I hadn't replied to what was written to me. It still would be stated that "The latest version of Qt under what the Qt Company proposed would only be for those who have paid for 12 months", "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay", "its you", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      Imagine that I hadn't replied to what was written to me. It still would be stated that "The latest version of Qt under what the Qt Company proposed would only be for those who have paid for 12 months", "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay", "its you", etc.
      The key word was proposed not done. So my statement is correct that is what the Qt Company proposed and currently has backed way from following though with. They have not released any official statement that they have completely given up on the proposal. Just they have not done it yet. The reality is the Qt Company could be waiting for the uproar to die down to attempt the proposed change again.

Nth_man for long term planning you cannot look at what a company is just doing now particularly when they have proposed something horrible wrong and have not given official statement they have absolutely given up on the idea.

PS there are official Qt company statements with the proposal.

Comment

> They have not released any official statement

Nobody has released any official statement about the "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay" and other things that aren't true but written by some people. That doesn't stop people from telling falsehoods to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
          > They have not released any official statement

Nobody has released any official statement about the "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay" and other things that aren't true but written by some people. That doesn't stop people from telling falsehoods to others.
          That not true. They did release a official statement to the KDE board.

But last week, the company suddenly informed both the KDE e.V. board and the KDE Free QT Foundation that the economic outlook caused by the Corona virus puts more pressure on them to increase short-term revenue. As a result, they are thinking about restricting ALL Qt releases to paid license holders for the first 12 months. They are aware that this would mean the end of contributions via Open Governance in practice. Obviously, it cannot be in the middle- and long-term health of The Qt Company to separate itself from the very strong Qt + KDE communities. We hope The Qt Company will reconsider. However, this threat to the Open Source community needs to be anticipated, so that the Qt and KDE communities can prepare themselves. The Qt Company says that they are willing to reconsider the approach only if we offer them concessions in other areas. I am reminded, however, of the situation half a year ago. We had discussed an approach for contract updates, which they suddenly threw away by restricting LTS releases of Qt instead.
          Yes those on the KDE e.V. board and the KDE Free QT Foundation are required to inform KDE developer of this statement. There was also a email to those with commercial license about the possible change.

"As a result, they are thinking about restricting ALL Qt releases to paid license holders for the first 12 months." << The statement wording what that is equal to as I said before "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay." Yes that is end of the Open Governance model.

They did not do a official public statement. But the did a lot of official private statements two to a parties that is legally required to release the contents to the public in some form. There has been no official private statement saying the idea has been dropped to commercial license holders yet so they have left it up in mid air. As well the fact it has leaked public and legally had to be Qt Company should do a public statement if the idea has been dropped or at least inform there commerical license holders and the kde board that is has been properly dropped.

Nth_man what you are attempt to call a falsehood unfortunately is not. There could be a lot of foolish things Qt Company board could have been thinking when they sent out the statement they did to the KDE board and commercial users and don't want to public admit to.

Comment

That "Qt where you no longer get the security updates or new features if you don't pay" is false, as we can see. That doesn't stop people from telling falsehoods to others.

Comment

Working...
            X