KDE Lands More Crash Fixes, Activities Feature Working On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well, the problem with zip files is that file names are usually encoded in different ways and the reader has to guess anyways. Most files assume cp437, but modern Linux/BSD uses UTF-8. Linux archivers store names as UTF-8. So, you already need multiple checks to extract anything. It's not terrible hard to add this feature, e.g.

Code:
    void parse_entry()
    {
    switch(next_char}
    {
    case '\':
    printf("warning: %s appears to use backslashes as path separators\n", archive_file);
    case '/':
    path_separator_code();
    break;
    }
    }
    Nitpick: Your code has failed to compile, because \' is not a valid backslash sequence...

Comment

Does Wayland and Nouveau work on older systems... say 2010 Intel without crashing on login? Understanding this might be a community issue over a KDE Wayland issue.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
        I hope they'd fix desktop scaling some day. Why is that feature even there to choose in settings when it's broken mess when set up to something like 125% or 150%? They could've allow only integer scaling factor and hide it as something experimental.
        it's working fine for me

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Then I'll start saying 12:9
          I though the same. 4:3 is older and so the term did not change when 16:9, impossible to express with 3 as denominator, arrived. 12:9 is good for comparing, but people know what 4:3 is and not sure everyone would understand that 12:9 is the same value.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
            I hope they'd fix desktop scaling some day. Why is that feature even there to choose in settings when it's broken mess when set up to something like 125% or 150%? They could've allow only integer scaling factor and hide it as something experimental.
            I've been using 125% scaling on xorg for months and haven't noticed any issues. I'm guessing you opened an issue to report your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by verude View Post

I've been using 125% scaling on xorg for months and haven't noticed any issues. I'm guessing you opened an issue to report your problems.
              Originally posted by stalkerg View Post

it's working fine for me
              I forgot mention it's about Wayland session. I'm using it on X11 and it's perfectly nice.

Comment

Originally posted by verude View Post
                The general problem is is normally when users attempt scale one monitor and not another with x.org bare metal and when everything goes screw balled they curse at X11. There are a lot of open bug reports like that this is mostly because of the single image.

Please note this is also sometime people wanting todo per application scaling as well. Things start not working out as well in memory usage with X11 when you start doing this vs a wayland solution.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Interesting you should say that because activities was one of the few features I just never bothered with since maybe KDE 4.2. I suppose if only had 1 PC for everything, they could come in handy, but otherwise I'm curious to hear what you've done with them.
                  I treat them like individual desktop sessions. Back in the day I'd keep certain apps running in certain sessions so if I needed to draft a contract I'd use that session with LibreOffice already running, an email client set up, web browser on the right sites; Need to edit a photo, switch to the GIMP session. For me, doing that with Activities is easier than having multiple desktops and ensuring that programs are only on specific desktop taskbars, etc.

These days I keep one clean and neat with and secondary monitoring desktop with sensor widgets and logs. Basically, if a game or something acts funny or crashes I can switch to that Activity and have quick access to all my sensor and log info...99% of the time I don't need all of that, but when I do I'm glad that it's there and already running.

Comment

More Plasma crash fixes, including so that the Plasma Wayland session will not crash when plugging in an external screen while running a non-GUI session like a virtual terminal.
                    That seems a bit convoluted. I can crash Plasma Wayland by simply trying to mode the panel from one screen edge to another. Like hard, "you need to reach for the power button" lock-up.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://pkware.cachefly.net/webdocs/...es/APPNOTE.TXT
                      D.2 If general purpose bit 11 is unset, the file name and comment SHOULD conform to the original ZIP character encoding.

Sorry no caligula there is a zip file character encoding. Yes that 12 year old bug the filename encoded without 11th bit set don't conform to ZIp file format requirements. So its a invalid file.
                      Wake up, that's not how it is in practice. Just google for some examples. Here's one example https://stackoverflow.com/q/13261347. I know the spec, right. For example, version 4.5 (https://web.archive.org/web/20011203...rt/appnote.txt)
                      does only state 256 characters & ASCII. It doesn't even explain the purpose of slashes in file names.
                      Last edited by caligula; 18 April 2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X