Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Lands More Crash Fixes, Activities Feature Working On Wayland

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Lands More Crash Fixes, Activities Feature Working On Wayland

    Phoronix: KDE Lands More Crash Fixes, Activities Feature Working On Wayland

    It's been another week of fixes and feature work for the KDE desktop as the march continues toward the Plasma 5.22 release this summer...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...xes-April-2021

  • #2
    Has anyone tested the upcoming Fedora 34 KDE spin already (Wayland by default)? What's your impression and will you stick to Wayland?

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope they'd fix desktop scaling some day. Why is that feature even there to choose in settings when it's broken mess when set up to something like 125% or 150%? They could've allow only integer scaling factor and hide it as something experimental.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you're dealing with crash fixes week after week you probably don't need to be driving and the government should yank your driver's license.

        Why not 7:3? 21:9 not using the lowest common denominator slightly irks me

        Seriously, those Activities fixes are very welcome. Activities is one of my favorite things about KDE. AFAICT, the closest any other desktop environment comes is customizing the other desktops. That's just not good enough once you start utilizing Activities.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by treba View Post
          Has anyone tested the upcoming Fedora 34 KDE spin already (Wayland by default)? What's your impression and will you stick to Wayland?
          Looks really nice and very responsive. It crashes randomly around once or twice a day. Same as Gnome, when something crashes, the whole GUI session crashes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Seriously, those Activities fixes are very welcome. Activities is one of my favorite things about KDE. AFAICT, the closest any other desktop environment comes is customizing the other desktops. That's just not good enough once you start utilizing Activities.
            Interesting you should say that because activities was one of the few features I just never bothered with since maybe KDE 4.2. I suppose if only had 1 PC for everything, they could come in handy, but otherwise I'm curious to hear what you've done with them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by treba View Post
              Has anyone tested the upcoming Fedora 34 KDE spin already (Wayland by default)? What's your impression and will you stick to Wayland?
              It has window placement issues and glitches with some non-native applications (e.g. Thunderbird), also the session doesn't end cleanly, but it's stable overall. They are now where GNOME was before The Great Unfuckening (except for performance issues, of which KDE has none), and it's feasible that it can become a much better experience by the end of the year or even earlier. Window rules for decoration-less XWayland windows also don't work as they should.
              Last edited by angrypie; 10 April 2021, 08:59 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by treba View Post
                Has anyone tested the upcoming Fedora 34 KDE spin already (Wayland by default)? What's your impression and will you stick to Wayland?
                If Chromium/Chrome has had native vaapi under wayland i would never use X anymore.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by angrypie View Post

                  It has window placement issues and glitches with some non-native applications (e.g. Thunderbird), also the session doesn't end cleanly, but it's stable overall. They are now where GNOME was before The Great Unfuckening (except for performance issues, of which KDE has none), and it's feasible that it can become a much better experience by the end of the year or even earlier. Window rules for decoration-less XWayland windows also don't work as they should.
                  I would mostly agree with this. I just upgraded yesterday so haven't had a lot of time with it. The big improvement for me is that I can now click on buttons and they do some thing. In 33 it was like they were trapped under an invisible layer of some thing. Straight up Wayland is still unusable in my opinion due mostly to window placement and sizing issues. For example if you maximize konsole the place where the cursor is at is always below the screen where you can't see it. If you run top in it you can't quit. There are other quirks as well. X on Wayland works considerably better. It isn't as good as X but it is usable enough that I am OK using it so the devs from various projects can get past X altogether and focus on Wayland.

                  I did a dist-upgrade and the kernel it installed was unable to boot. I was able to boot off a previous kernel and then update from updates or testing and that kernel worked fine. Is this upgrade going to be rougher than the last few that have been pretty tame to tell the truth. Yes. But not unbearably so. I think we are at the point where we need to just suck it up so the devs can focus on the future. Fedora used to be a pretty bleeding edge distro and I have always been happy with that. There are other distros for when I want stability.
                  Last edited by MadeUpName; 10 April 2021, 10:32 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "Ark now supports extracting Zip files that have Windows-style backslashes used as path separators."

                    Uh, how is it possible that this was fixed only now. Isn't zip extraction like one of the basic features since 1990?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X