X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xpris
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Fedora/RHEL cannot package it due to patents. Other distros often strip large chunks of it to avoid patents.
    Most of distros provide two version of FFmpeg. As example Mandriva derivates from years by default provide free version of FFmpeg and as option in restricted repo also version that contains a lot of stuff that can broke patents stuff.
    So this is user choice, use free by default or install from repo restricted version.

Also OpenMandriva use cool stuff which solves this issue in yet another way. They are using dllopen. This mean, FFmpeg (and others aplication) can support restricted libs like x264 or x265 etc at runtime. This mean, FFmpeg is compiled via dllopen and if you need for example support for x265, then you only need install x265 lib from repo and then ffmpeg start supporting it without any recompiltion. Just out-of-box.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Since FFmpeg isn't written in Rust, all applications that use FFmpeg should probably sandboxed with Snap or Flatpak.
    Not a bad suggestion. Since it drags in far too many dependencies to be "trustworthy" I have been running this kind of stuff in a Jail for years.

For a consumer home media center it probably doesn't matter though.

Leave a comment:

• chromer
    replied
    In Linux, Hardware acceleration isn't that bad these days, even latest versions of Google-Chrome added vaapi-based mojo video decoder support and performing very well, also MPV doing great in offline and stream hardware-accelerated decoding.
    Last edited by chromer; 09 April 2021, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• r1348
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    How long till this version is default in distrobutions though? Are fedora/centos even packaging ffmpeg?

Leave a comment:

• -MacNuke-
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I mean NVIDIA created vendor-neutral VDPAU under a permissive license 14 years ago. You'd think by now hardware video acceleration would be a done deal but nope, not even close.
    Maybe because nVidia moved to their own vendor-locked cuda/nvdec API?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    How long till this version is default in distrobutions though? Are fedora/centos even packaging ffmpeg?
    Fedora/RHEL cannot package it due to patents. Other distros often strip large chunks of it to avoid patents.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Made me think of libav and wondered what what happened to it, I see it's had no updates since 2018 and safely assume it's sunk beneath the waves ?

Leave a comment:

• s_j_newbury
    replied
    VA-API works fine here (in Wayland too). What's the problem with it?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    hardware acceleration in linux is a joke and bad one

i thought with wayland they will come up with some miracle fix but i was wrong
    It's not a joke, it even exists but it's quite sad that it's far from "just works". For some reasons Microsoft and other proprietary companies are able to create such APIs and in Linux we have this constant reinvention of the wheel and infighting for "better" APIs and those APIs come with their own terms and have specific requirements, implementations, etc. I mean NVIDIA created vendor-neutral VDPAU under a permissive license 14 years ago. You'd think by now hardware video acceleration would be a done deal but nope, not even close.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X