Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 4.4 Released With AV1 VA-API Decoder, SVT-AV1 Encoding

Phoronix: FFmpeg 4.4 Released With AV1 VA-API Decoder, SVT-AV1 Encoding

FFmpeg 4.4 is out today as a large update to this widely-used multimedia library and with it comes many new features including new demuxers, AV1 support improvements, and other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since FFmpeg isn't written in Rust, all applications that use FFmpeg should probably sandboxed with Snap or Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Since FFmpeg isn't written in Rust, all applications that use FFmpeg should probably sandboxed with Snap or Flatpak.
      A tinfoil hat probably won't hurt as well.

Comment

hardware acceleration in linux is a joke and bad one

i thought with wayland they will come up with some miracle fix but i was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          hardware acceleration in linux is a joke and bad one

i thought with wayland they will come up with some miracle fix but i was wrong
          It's not a joke, it even exists but it's quite sad that it's far from "just works". For some reasons Microsoft and other proprietary companies are able to create such APIs and in Linux we have this constant reinvention of the wheel and infighting for "better" APIs and those APIs come with their own terms and have specific requirements, implementations, etc. I mean NVIDIA created vendor-neutral VDPAU under a permissive license 14 years ago. You'd think by now hardware video acceleration would be a done deal but nope, not even close.

Comment

VA-API works fine here (in Wayland too). What's the problem with it?

Comment

Made me think of libav and wondered what what happened to it, I see it's had no updates since 2018 and safely assume it's sunk beneath the waves ?

Comment

How long till this version is default in distrobutions though? Are fedora/centos even packaging ffmpeg?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  How long till this version is default in distrobutions though? Are fedora/centos even packaging ffmpeg?
                  Fedora/RHEL cannot package it due to patents. Other distros often strip large chunks of it to avoid patents.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I mean NVIDIA created vendor-neutral VDPAU under a permissive license 14 years ago. You'd think by now hardware video acceleration would be a done deal but nope, not even close.
                    Maybe because nVidia moved to their own vendor-locked cuda/nvdec API?

Comment

Working...
                    X