Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XScreenSaver 6.0 Released With Increased Security, Better EGL & GLSL/GLES 3.0 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Do you use a CRT monitor?

Because CRTs are the only reason why a screensaver would make sense. Because
    A. CRTs burn in if you show a standing picture, especially if there is a high contrast and
    B. Because they need to warm up if waking up from standby and its not that good for their cathode.

If you have a LCD or some other modern type of display, gnome behaves right, it just turns off the monitors.
    OLEDs and some TFT (think Apple Retina image retention) do not burn in?

Comment

updated ,-) http://t2sde.org/packages/xscreensaver

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Long time Xfce user here, hated Gnome, its design, its CSD headerbars, its philosophy and its people and today I can not believe how stupid I was. I gave myself a challenge to try gnome for a few days in its Wayland session after I got my Radeon and I since have not looked back. Its that good. I never had seen a desktop that was so flexible and hack-able and that really hit a nerve.
        Honestly I find the stock GNOME next to unusable. But once AppIndicator, DING and Dash-to-Dock are installed and the Applications/Places menus and maximise/minimise buttons enabled, it makes a very decent desktop.

Comment

Wait. xscreensaver last release wasn't in 90s? Nice to see it alive and jwz updating it.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
            Wait. xscreensaver last release wasn't in 90s? Nice to see it alive and jwz updating it.
            He's been updating it regularly, I downloaded 5.45 in February. But 6.00 with the TTF fonts is so much nicer - the dialog to unlock is a much better size and the saver actually runs behind it (on xfce-4.16 with elogind)

Comment

Its nice to see XScreenSaver updated. I was just thinking how cool it would be if someone came up with some new Linux Screen savers. Or even updated the older ones. When I first put Skyrocket on my kids watched it for over an hour straight!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

OLEDs and some TFT (think Apple Retina image retention) do not burn in?
                TFT LCDs have image retention, but you have to be incredibly negligent to cause permanent damage. No idea about "Retina" displays because I don't buy Apple trash.

OLEDs not only burn in permanently with relative ease, they also wilt, specially the blue color, over time. After a couple of years, if it survives this long, the screen will look like a 20-year old CCFL LCD display.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Great binary thinking there, truly a marvel of ones and zeroes, your reasoning: "because I do not like Gnome retarded decisions on ergonomic UI design and absurd paradigms of productivity" ergo: "I must want a replica of Windows95 as my desktop."

Please let me take off my hat to you.
                  Not only you failed to understand that the fact you don't like GNOME doesn't mean it's bad for everybody but also you failed to notice "/s".

Oh nothing there is nothing to fix in Gnome
                  I didn't say that. What I say is that Canonical didn't change GNOME architecture as you described. They made improvements to the existing GNOME architecture. Totally different thing.

Perhaps we could be in a much better position, linux desktops (Ubuntu) were making strides 10 years ago into public acceptance when Gnome2 was the de-facto Linux desktop and all of that came to a halt with Gnome 3.x whose fallout still raining today poisoning everything it touches.
                  [/QUOTE]

Can you prove that in any way? Let's check Linux market share history: GNOME 3 was released in 2011. According to statcounter Linux market share in 2010 was something around 0.8%. According to same stats it's was again 0.8% in 2020. It's basically the same at it was before GNOME 3 introduction. So how GNOME 3 would be responsible for Linux desktop market share? Also why others desktops weren't able to take GNOME position after GNOME 2 was abandoned? If GNOME 3 is so bad then it should be marginalized years ago by "better" desktops.

Comment

JPFSanders Your rants are pretty funny. I have a question though.

MacOS is a pretty popular desktop and used by more people then every Linux Desktop combined. What is your opinion on MacOS?
                    Same question with Android?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                      JPFSanders Your rants are pretty funny
                      Always happy to help.

[USER="103182"]
                      I have a question though. MacOS is a pretty popular desktop and used by more people then every Linux Desktop combined.
                      What is your opinion on MacOS?
                      I haven't touched Macs in any serious capacity since the 90's, OS 8.1 was the last one I used seriously I think.

The GUI on OS 8.1 wasn't bad, I don't remember anything I strongly disliked about it, however I do not have fond memories for the OS itself, the old 68k OS was garbagey and wasn't too stable, didn't like Macs then don't like Macs now.

I know Modern MacOS is from where Gnome gets its inspiration but I haven't used modern Mac OS for more than 5-10 mins to form a solid opinion. As a GUI interface thing I did not like that windows on the Mac don't maximise on double click and I'm not a fan of the keyboard command-control thing, nor the single-button mice. I know you can use a regular PC keyboard and a PC mouse, that summarises all my experience with modern MacOS.

[USER="103182"]
                      Same question with Android?
                      First and foremost, I hate touch screen interfaces, my fingers are fat and click accidentally everywhere, my eyes are old and tired and those screens keep packing more and more resolution and making things smaller and smaller, I have to make the fonts huge and while mostly everything runs fine every now and then some application does something odd with the large fonts and I end with tiny whiny icons and gigantic fonts, I do not know if the cause is Android or the applications. I also hated with a passion preference screens in old Android, in the past there were hundreds of preferences and no way to search through them, nowadays fortunately that is being sorted out, but it was obvious a search bar was needed on the preferences and not on the fucking main screen.

Android IMHO as a GUI is a mixed bag, some decisions range from strange to plain bad to just brilliant, there is a lot of inconsistencies here and there.

I hate the concept that anything can be a button but without an indication that is a button.

I can't comprehend for the life of me why most phones can't rotate the launcher screen, it is something I find baffling and incomprehensible.

Last thing I found immensely irritating was Google play moving the option menu from the burger menu (we agreed that the burger menu icon was where the menu go) into a small profile icon. The change is so idiotic, stupid and counter-intuitive that for days the google play application showed a blue bubble reminder telling me the options are now on something that doesn't resemble a button or a menu. Completely retarded interface decision, so intuitive and easy to discover you need to be told that a little picture is now a menu. They don't follow their own GUI rules.

However I think overall it does a good job with the small physical space that is available on a phone, I think iOS does a good job too and is generally more consistent than Android.

I do not think Android is an appropriate interface for a regular computer if that's what where you're getting to, it is even worse than Gnome3. The saving grace of Android is that it doesn't affect applications outside phones, Gnome sadly influences all sort of bad idea contagion effect on the Linux desktop application ecosystem due to their influence on the development of GTK.

I was born ages ago and I have witnessed the evolution of GUI interfaces from the beginning, I can tell you with confidence that touch screen GUI paradigms in a regular workstation are pure concentrated cancer, imagine you open a 42 US gallon (159L) and instead of OIL you find it full of cancer inside, that's what I think of touch interfaces on workstation computers.

You can disagree with me on anything and I'm OK with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X