No announcement yet.

KDE Now Maintaining Their Own Set of Patches For Qt 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is hilarious to watch GNOME zealots try to make a mountain out of something that was always a molehill. The hill just got a lot smaller, but the mythical mountain just grew tenfold.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Looks like someone is afraid of everything that does not look and work like windows 95.
    Looks like someone has been drinking almost as much GNOME Kool-Aid as 144.

Comment

My opinion is: GTK needs to be a Freedesktop.org project, become independent of GNOME and KDE should use it too.

This would be a pretty big thing, and we would have a 100% community governed standard toolkit for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
        My opinion is: GTK needs to be a Freedesktop.org project, become independent of GNOME and KDE should use it too.

This would be a pretty big thing, and we would have a 100% community governed standard toolkit for Linux.
        Would also 100% not work at all, and Phoronix would be littered with outcry about "freedom of choice" and "Unix philosophy."

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

Considering Qt can do everything GTK can, but not the other way around, if you were looking for a toolkit to serve both Gnome and KDE, you wouldn't pick GTK
          And to put a lid on the C vc C++ debate, it must be rewritten in Rust.

/non-inflamatory-post

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            As someone who's coded against both (albeit in Python), I have to say that GTK is so feature-poor compared to Qt that doing that just isn't viable in any near-term case.
            In what sense? Let's say for the sake of argument that you are right, wouldn't it be simpler to add whatever features you are missing to GTK and then use that instead of be beholden to some company that clearly doesn't care about you at all? Personally I'd love to see Qt abandoned so that there is only one major display toolkit on Linux. It would simplify things for app developers and fix all the theme issues. The only problem is that KDE would have to be completely rewritten.

It won't happen, but I can dream.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            /non-inflamatory-post
            Compromise accepted. I think Gnome is slowly going that way no matter what. On the other hand, what are the odds KDE or its applications will ever be written in Rust? I'd say near zero.
            Last edited by cynical; 06 April 2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

In what sense? Let's say for the sake of argument that you are right, wouldn't it be simpler to add whatever features you are missing to GTK and then use that instead of be beholden to some company that clearly doesn't care about you at all? Personally I'd love to see Qt abandoned so that there is only one major display toolkit on Linux. It would simplify things for app developers and fix all the theme issues. The only problem is that KDE would have to be completely rewritten.

It won't happen, but I can dream.
              Best joke I heard all day :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

In what sense? Let's say for the sake of argument that you are right, wouldn't it be simpler to add whatever features you are missing to GTK and then use that instead of be beholden to some company that clearly doesn't care about you at all?
                You're implying GNOME would accept patches that go against their "vision," which is... not true at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Considering Qt can do everything GTK can, but not the other way around, if you were looking for a toolkit to serve both Gnome and KDE, you wouldn't pick GTK

/non-inflamatory-post
                  Let's be honest. GTK already is the standard and I hate GNOME devs when they that (arrogance much?). But it's true. GNOME devs do NO EFFORT to try to make KDE apps look native on GNOME, you can't say the same of KDE's. KDE lost much of its relevance since KDE 3 or even KDE 4.

The effort to port all GTK code to Qt would be much bigger than the effort to port KDE to GTK. So it is much more practical to everyone else to use GTK and GTK becomes a neutral freedesktop project.

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Would also 100% not work at all, and Phoronix would be littered with outcry about "freedom of choice" and "Unix philosophy."
                  Nobody would be banned to do Qt apps. I use qBittorrent, and I think that it is a fine app.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                    Why not contribute directly to the neglected fos version of qt?
                    Because people on here believe that you can't maintain a toolkit if you don't have 200+ people working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

It will take the KDE Community about 5 years from now to port the at least still frequently used projects.
                      ... the transition from qt5 to qt6 will not be as demanding as it was from qt4 to qt5.
                      So hopefully next year we will already be on fully functional qt6.

Comment

Working...
                      X