KDE Starts April By Landing KHamburgerMenu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post

'alt' key is your friend (sometimes you need to enable it)
    My least favorite key on the board. Only my right hand ring finger can press that comfortably and it's on a mouse unless I'm typing something.

But, thanks, I'll give that a shot the next time I'm running GNOME.

This is quite funny. Apologies for having a smile on your expense.
    FYI, most native English speakers use "at your expense". I had a at yours.

Comment

Hamburger menus are moronic on a wide monitor.

The entire intent of the hamburger menu is for a vertical phone layout that doesn't have enough width for a menu bar with all the desired headers. The hamburger menu gives you a place to touch to get a vertical and scrollable list of choices.

They are not for wide displays and any time someone adds one it makes me wish violence upon them for breaking almost 40 years of UI convention.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
        xdg-decoration has nothing to do with this.
        It has everything to do. xdg-decoration was added to save headers which are part of usual layout with header + menu + toolbar.
        Unfortunately, 90%+ of existing in reality apps don't need this and still use to follow expected layout. There are plenty apps which have only 2 menu items, "file-close" and "help-about". Both are unnecessary and still they exist and was added into hierarchy of submenus. And there always duplication icons on toolbar represent same commands from menu, and submenu edit duplicates context menu.
        Same for toolbars, it looks cheap when contains 1-3 buttons so developers always fill it with unnecessary items.
        The idea is to improve upon the limitations of GNOME's hamburger menu design. Ours teaches the user keyboard shortcuts; allows you to click-hold-release to select an item; isn't limited in size to the dimensions of the window itself; and doesn't create a pressure to remove functionality to avoid bloating up the menu.
        No, idea is to get rid of stupid menubar which is obviously bloated most of the time, even KDE developers can understand this. Unfortunately, they still don't understand toolbar is bloated too. Nobody actually removes anything important. Compare gnome files before and after going CSD. Most of "removed functionality" are buttons to change windows layout, like switching off side panel. The only thing that was really removed is two panel mode, which can be emulated with two files windows.

Comment

Originally posted by verude View Post

which ignores the fact that CSD is HUGE
          Because it's not huge. First of all - CSD is not the same thing as HeaderBar (if we are talking about GNOME). CSD is nothing more than drawing decorations on the client side (toolkit) instead of server side (window manager/compositor). You can still get small and traditional looking decorations with CSD. HeaderBar was designed to replace combination of titlebar, menubar and toolbar and it's not using more space than these 3 items combined.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

> > > The only way to get it working again is by setting something in the app's rc

> > Have you tried pressing Ctrl+M?

> Yep, I have. Nothing happens.

> Sometimes it works (Kdenlive, KDevelop, Konsole), but other times it just fails (Ark, Okteta)
            Using Kubuntu 20.04, if a main menu is hidden: menu Ctrl+M shows it unless it's a program that always shows that menu (like Ark, Okteta).
            Last edited by Nth_man; 04 April 2021, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Hamburger menu on the right side of the toolbar is one of the worst, no idiotic, ui conventions we got from smartsses at google. Do I really need to explain why?

If we are to increase the adoption of this pattern, which is something that happens whether we want it or not, lets stop for 5 minutes and think for once about usability instead of blindly follow what android - or god forbid gnome - does.
              Last edited by zoomblab; 04 April 2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                Hamburger menus is the only reason I migrated from Gnome to KDE, as everything on my desktop suddenly became adapted to a mobile phone.
                And even on mobile hamburger menus suck (IMHO).

Comment

A great example of mis-using icons and not using text where appropriate. Two thumbs down.

Fortunately for KDE, Vivaldi is not a KDE app, so you can't blame us for that. Go bug Vivaldi's developers about it!
                  I'm terribly sorry if my post came off wrong. I know that Vivaldi is not a KDE app, I just wanted to give an example of icon misuse and since I'm a Vivaldi user, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                    And I bet most laptop owners use a second screen when they can probably in the 24-27 inch bracket or larger rather than the postage stamp screen it came with; monitors are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Besides it's much better for your eyes and less eye strain.
                    I very much doubt that. Once everyone got pushed into working from home due to Covid, most of my colleagues — IT professionals, not just non-technicals — had to go out and buy external monitors for home, or borrow them from the office. I'd guess that very few laptop owners own an external screen... it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop for most of them, requiring some kind of permanent desk space to keep it, when most of them want to just sit on the couch.

Comment

Another downvote for the dumbing down of KDE from me.

I already switch back to Legacy Kickoff any time I install KDE 5.21; if we must have that crap new menu, I can't understand why Legacy Kickoff isn't one of the options shown in the "Show Alternatives" by default, instead of having to go to the trouble of finding it and installing it. Even worse, once installed, it either shows up under Alternatives or you have to fish for it by choosing Add Widgets. It should be consistent.

As for this f---ing hamburger menu, I can only repeat my comment on Twitter: "Ugh." (Also, I use a 14-inch laptop screen with no second monitor and a 16:9 aspect ratio; even on a 4:3, I'd still want real menus, not this ridiculous hamburger tripe.)

Yes, for now we have choices. But how long until we're stuck with f---ing hamburger menus exclusively? If I wanted that I'd use GNOME.
                      Last edited by DKJones; 05 April 2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X