No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.24 Released For This Open-Source Adobe Photoshop Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it support 16- or 32-bit color channels yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      With Wayland there is no longer any way to calibrate monitors so you can't do professional work flows on Linux any more any way.
      Dunno the current status, but at least someone has claimed to be working on this: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...il/040431.html

Comment

I am a professional photographer, I have tried both and prefer Gimp to Photoshop. I suspect better RAW support means it will round trip to Darktable for more RAW formats. But Darktable blew their brains out when they chained themselves to a dead project with Rawspeed. With Wayland there is no longer any way to calibrate monitors so you can't do professional work flows on Linux any more any way.
        Wait, does this mean that Xorg no longer functions on Linux for those who need it? That's really bad. Why did they have to remove all Xorg code from existence?

Comment

I am a professional photographer, I have tried both and prefer Gimp to Photoshop. I suspect better RAW support means it will round trip to Darktable for more RAW formats. But Darktable blew their brains out when they chained themselves to a dead project with Rawspeed. With Wayland there is no longer any way to calibrate monitors so you can't do professional work flows on Linux any more any way.
          Gnome Wayland color calibrates just fine

Comment

For me 2.99.4 JustWorks(tm).
            It would be good to have soon another 2.99.x rerase.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              Does it support 16- or 32-bit color channels yet?
              If you think this is still 2017, no.

Otherwise — yes, since v2.10 released in 2018.

Comment

I read a while back that the jump from GTK 2.x to 3.x was a bigger deal because GIMP v1 code still included some toolkit stuff that needed re-writing before it could be dropped. TL;DR; -- supposedly the jump from 3.x to 4.x is supposed to not be "as big" of a deal -- still I can't imagine it coming soon enough. UX is the very first-impression you give the user. First impressions effect everything including image, usage and funding/donations.

Very proud of the work that has been done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                  Calling GIMP a "Photoshop Alternative" is a bit... "brave". But than it's 1st of April somewhere now
                  GIMP is indeed a Photoshop alternative. Working as a freelancer mainly using Free and Open Source software.

Comment

GIMP 3.0 in 3 years, 4.0 in 10 years!

Besides the jokes, when i tried a 3.0 git build in 2016-17, it was working almost flawlessly, just except some plugins.

Comment

Re calibration, I just switch to X11 to calibrate and then switch back to Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                      X