GIMP 2.10.24 Released For This Open-Source Adobe Photoshop Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.24 Released For This Open-Source Adobe Photoshop Alternative

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.24 Released For This Open-Source Adobe Photoshop Alternative

GIMP 3.0 still isn't out yet but the GIMP 2.10 stable series continues seeing new point releases with additional feature work until that GTK3 version of this image editor / Photoshop alternative is ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any ETA for 3.0 release with GTK3 support? It would be a bit ironic when Gimp that produced GTK will eventually switch to Qt...

Comment

Calling GIMP a "Photoshop Alternative" is a bit... "brave". But than it's 1st of April somewhere now

Comment

Considering the pace it is currently moving, I'm guessing no GTK4 backend for at least 3 years. sigh

Maybe I'm out of touch, but I feel like toollkits should try to make greater efforts of backwards compatibility (whether it's GTK or QT). Forcing huge work on already strained devs is not ideal IMO.

To be clear, I'm not putting the blame on the GIMP devs. I have a lot of respect for them maintaining a usable image manipulation program and I can't wait to see what 3.0 brings us.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          Calling GIMP a "Photoshop Alternative" is a bit... "brave".
          I would agree its not on the level of photoshop for professional work, but for 90% of people that use photoshop GIMP would be suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Is there any ETA for 3.0 release with GTK3 support?
            Nope. There's GtkAction to get rid of and then APIs to review — those are two major things still on the todo list. There will be more things to do though.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              I would agree its not on the level of photoshop for professional work, but for 90% of people that use photoshop GIMP would be suitable.
              We've used GIMP for literally all of our corporate image assets. The new college grads we hire to do web site maintenance and design are all able to quickly pick it up and become proficient, experimenting with features I never even knew existed, and producing some really nice visual works. At $239 *per seat, per year* for Photoshop vs. $0 for GIMP, we're saving a nice little pile of cash.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 31 March 2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I am a professional photographer, I have tried both and prefer Gimp to Photoshop. I suspect better RAW support means it will round trip to Darktable for more RAW formats. But Darktable blew their brains out when they chained themselves to a dead project with Rawspeed. With Wayland there is no longer any way to calibrate monitors so you can't do professional work flows on Linux any more any way.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Is there any ETA for 3.0 release with GTK3 support? It would be a bit ironic when Gimp that produced GTK will eventually switch to Qt...
                  bigger question is the ETA on gtk4 support.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                    bigger question is the ETA on gtk4 support.
                    I bet on Qt support to arrive sooner

Comment

Working...
                    X