GIMP 2.10.24 Released For This Open-Source Adobe Photoshop Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    I am a professional photographer, I have tried both and prefer Gimp to Photoshop. I suspect better RAW support means it will round trip to Darktable for more RAW formats. But Darktable blew their brains out when they chained themselves to a dead project with Rawspeed. With Wayland there is no longer any way to calibrate monitors so you can't do professional work flows on Linux any more any way.
    Re calibration, I just switch to X11 to calibrate and then switch back to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      Calling GIMP a "Photoshop Alternative" is a bit... "brave". But than it's 1st of April somewhere now
      GIMP has been in some ways put aside by Krita, which is much more usable.

Comment

Originally posted by kvuj View Post
        Considering the pace it is currently moving, I'm guessing no GTK4 backend for at least 3 years. sigh.
        I don't know, but maybe less. The jump from GTK 3 to 4 is much smaller than that of from GTK 2 to GTK 3.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Is there any ETA for 3.0 release with GTK3 support? It would be a bit ironic when Gimp that produced GTK will eventually switch to Qt...
          Why should it switch to a proprietary sold toolkit that would enslave that project to one companies will.
          Some people are learn resistant, others already knew in 1996 that this will be a bad idea.

Gimp always used GTK in special and interesting ways, that made the 1->2 port hard and it makes the 2->3 port even harder. Non the less it is now done to quite straight forward standard GTK3, a GTK4 port itself would not be a big issue though I believe that the Gimp people want to leverage the new rendered features as well as the build in shader support. It simply depends on how much they want to get in a single release.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post

GIMP has been in some ways put aside by Krita, which is much more usable.
            Krita is a buggy unstable mess, but it is quite a lot more stable and thought out then the usual KDE software quality. I give it a thumbs up.

Comment

Nice timing, as I'm currently scanning old negatives. \o/

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                Calling GIMP a "Photoshop Alternative" is a bit... "brave". But than it's 1st of April somewhere now
                I wouldn't say its a direct competitor, but as I've actually seen IRL, it can surprisingly be. Especially with casual users, who only use basic features and don't have much requirements. Its lighter weight. Its a free download. It doesn't have internet checking DRM. It runs on more platforms and architectures. Easy to install on all platforms.

Comment

I read the Gimp 2.99.4 release notes. The developers beg for feedback from users on things like input device configuration and rationalizing keyboard shortcuts. There's a Flatpak available so it's easy for experienced users to try out now, instead of complaining about feature implementations when 3.0 is finally released. I'm impressed by the GIMP, gegl, and babl developers; it's a big application and codebase and they're making progress on both stable and development branches. I donated

Comment

Working...
                  X