GNOME 41 To Introduce Libadwaita For Helping To Define GNOME Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ed31337
    What's your setup? I mean which distribution, DE, etc. I've been trying to use a rpi as desktop for quite some time, but always failed

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

You benchmark GPU framerate in glxgears? Oookay.

glxgears' purpose is to check if graphics work at all. Use glmark2 instead.
      Oh cool, I'll have to give that a try sometime. I just used glxgears because it's what I have and seemed to be what everybody else was quoting on the Internet (at least in Raspberry Pi circles). It does seem like a too simplistic test though.

FWIW, playing MegaGlest runs much smoother for me on Wayland than Xorg, which is what really mattered to me. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get it to display FPS to objectively compare how much better it is though.

I never had playback tearing in Xorg except in the case of Firefox but V-sync was disabled in about:config for some reason.
      On x86, Xorg screen tearing seemed to be a non-issue for me, but on Raspberry Pi 4, it's been a persistent problem for everybody.

Even xfce4?
      I'm still using the xfce4 terminal program (which works fine on Wayland), but I've ditched the xfce window manager and panel in favor of Wayfire and it's equivalents. Wayfire has some minor bugs and minor uglies here and there, but for the most part it is still very usable. I haven't had any desire to boot back into Xorg/XFCE4 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
        ed31337
        What's your setup? I mean which distribution, DE, etc. I've been trying to use a rpi as desktop for quite some time, but always failed
        I started with Sakaki's ARM64 Gentoo image and then upgraded that to all the latest stuff using the GenPi64 and upstream Gentoo repositories. The transition from Sakaki to GenPi64 wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I'm very pleased with my end result. Hopefully someday the GenPi64 project will release a good, up-to-date desktop image so people can just flash and go, but they're not quite there yet (they have an alpha image, but it's pretty barebones so far).

My DE is a bit of a hodgepodge consisting of Wayfire, the Wayfire panel (wf-shell), xfce terminal, and GNOME's (?) Nemo file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          My DE is a bit of a hodgepodge consisting of Wayfire, the Wayfire panel (wf-shell), xfce terminal, and GNOME's (?) Nemo file manager.
          Nemo was created (and I suppose is still maintained) by the Cinnamon team.
          I saw you mention wayfire somewhere in a forum a few weeks ago so I went and tested it (since it has compiz effects and wobbly windows in particular and my relation with Gnome is at a bear it-dislike it level, I would try anything at this point).
          It didn't even feel alpha software though (v0.7). So slow and buggy. Apps would start or not, then appear after 15-20 seconds. When I minimized a window, I couldn't find it back (not appearing in the panel or anywhere) and had to kill and restart it to have it active again. There might have been some shortcuts I was not aware of though. Might also be the Manjaro implementation as well. Still seem like a long work in progress. Compiz-like effects are mostly working though.
          To top it off, it screwed up pipewire, I had to revert to pulseaudio and back to pipewire to get back my output devices and sound as no other usual solution worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            Yeah.....like us GTK/Gnome fans warning KDE fanbois and C++ lovers for decades they were going to get burned one day by Trolltech and and whoever bought them in the future...( cough, QT, cough cough )
            Who got burned? KDE generally doesn't use LTS releases of Qt, so the recent licensing change was not as big a deal as you zealots would like us to believe. Furthermore, if something drastic does happen with licensing, KDE (et al) can fork Qt in the worst case scenario.

But please, keep spreading FUD and telling us that the sky is falling for a couple more decades. It's really comical.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

GNOME Classic retains the traditional layout too.
              You're right but it's only layout. Core applications still don't look very traditional. I guess nothing stops you from using more traditional equivalents (like Nemo/Caja in place of Nautilus etc.).

Comment

Working...
              X