No announcement yet.

GNOME 41 To Introduce Libadwaita For Helping To Define GNOME Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything very nice however based on the Gnome3/GTK3 history is more likely that will happen the contrary, GKT4 apps will look better only inside the Gnome environment...

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
      All GTK-based DEs suffer from GTK development. Xfce is still graphically broken in some places after the migration to GTK3 and this migration was not complete because a lot of xfce4 components have gtk2 in dependencies. For some reason, xfce4 become less lightweight after GTK3 update. I'm thinking of switching to KDE sometimes.
      As you clearly don't like change, you should probably switch to KDE because if GTK is not killing XFCE as you know it, Wayland will. But then, KDE is changing too but at least you can tweak it into looking like it is from the early 2000s.

Any DE except for GNOME3 (and later versions) is still pushing GNOME2 vibes because it's not trying to be a half-breed touchscreen rip-off.
      It sure looks like that anything that does not follow the Win95 design guidelines is a "half-breed touchscreen rip-off". I assume you would include Win10 and MacOS as well..

How did they accomplish this? I'm not expecting from GTK4.2 to be easy to build on Windows after 20+ years of not being easy to build on Windows. I want GTK to be a cross-platform framework but the project is moving away from that starting with GNU/Linux.
      Why talk about it here? You can contribute for example by using it and report any cross-platform bugs..

Both. For me as a developer GTK is less efficient than Qt, it's less cross-platform friendly (that's why people use wxWidgets or Qt and not GTK) and lacks features because developers don't need them in GNOME. For a user... you know: broken themes, and CSD stuff.
      but you don't pay for GTK

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Ditto. GNOME and CSD moved me to XFCE. XFCE and CSD moved me to KDE.

IMHO, these days it feels like GNOME has fragmented the GTK ecosystem. Seems like half of GTK programs follow GNOME and CSD and the rest follow Mate and SSD. For the end user it just sucks; especially with distributions like Manjaro that offer multiple editions but all the tools are written in a GNOME/XFCE CSD style.

I hope libadwaita fixes that feeling of fragmentation I have.
        SSD are dead. People should just get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
          if GTK is not killing XFCE as you know it
          But it does and I've explained how it affects other DEs.

Wayland will.
          Wayland can't even compete with Xorg which was invented decades ago. We all know why: Wayland is an embodiment of NIH syndrome. It's not a proper replacement for Xorg: Wayland added more problems and solved almost none of them. The lack of compatibility with Xorg is not making Wayland look better. The only thing that replace Xorg is another Xorg (X12) which would have backward compatibility with X11. This seems like a solution to me.

I assume you would include Win10 and MacOS as well..
          I don't know much about MacOS but Win10 UI is fine. Even Microsoft has learned from their mistakes after Win8 but Gnome just can't.

Why talk about it here? You can contribute for example by using it and report any cross-platform bugs..
          It's not just about bugs. It's about how fast I can deploy and develop GTK applications on Windows. Qt did a good job on this matter.

but you don't pay for GTK
          I don't pay for Qt either.
          Last edited by Monsterovich; 31 March 2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

As you clearly don't like change, you should probably switch to KDE because if GTK is not killing XFCE as you know it, Wayland will. But then, KDE is changing too but at least you can tweak it into looking like it is from the early 2000s.
            Wayland won't kill xfce
            they just need another wm and they are working on it. next steps to make it wayland compatible will happen at gsoc.

i am very much looking forward to it

Comment

SSD are dead. People should just get over it.
              Native UIs are dead. People should just get over it and use Electron.

j/k

Comment

Wayland can't even compete with Xorg which was invented decades ago. We all know why: Wayland is an embodiment of NIH syndrome. It's not a proper replacement for Xorg: Wayland added more problems and solved almost none of them.
                Wayland solved a lot of my problems. Xorg was slow and laggy. And it's memory footprint was pretty hefty too. Wayland is fast and snappy. It's memory footprint is about the same as Xorg, but that's only because I still have to load the Xwayland module for a few of my apps.

I know, a lot of folks are probably using fast x86 processors with fast video cards and double digit GB's of RAM, so these were never problems for you on Xorg. But for me on a Raspberry Pi 4 with only 4GB of RAM, Wayland has been fantastic. glxgears went from around 200fps to 2000fps! Video playback no longer has the screen tearing exhibited on Xorg.

The lack of compatibility with Xorg is not making Wayland look better. The only thing that replace Xorg is another Xorg (X12) which would have backward compatibility with X11.
                Wayland is backward compatible with X11. Load up the Xwayland module and boom, you can run all your old X11 apps.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                  glxgears went from around 200fps to 2000fps!
                  You benchmark GPU framerate in glxgears? Oookay.

glxgears' purpose is to check if graphics work at all. Use glmark2 instead.

playback no longer has the screen tearing exhibited on Xorg.
                  I never had playback tearing in Xorg except in the case of Firefox but V-sync was disabled in about:config for some reason.

Wayland is backward compatible with X11. Load up the Xwayland module and boom, you can run all your old X11 apps.
                  Even xfce4?
                  Last edited by Monsterovich; 31 March 2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
                    Wayland won't kill xfce
                    they just need another wm and they are working on it. next steps to make it wayland compatible will happen at gsoc.

i am very much looking forward to it
                    .. kill xfce as you know it ..
                    Pls read the context

Comment

But it does and I've explained how it affects other DEs.

Wayland can't even compete with Xorg which was invented decades ago. We all know why: Wayland is an embodiment of NIH syndrome. It's not a proper replacement for Xorg: Wayland added more problems and solved almost none of them. The lack of compatibility with Xorg is not making Wayland look better. The only thing that replace Xorg is another Xorg (X12) which would have backward compatibility with X11. This seems like a solution to me.

I don't know much about MacOS but Win10 UI is fine. Even Microsoft has learned from their mistakes after Win8 but Gnome just can't.

It's not just about bugs. It's about how fast I can deploy and develop GTK applications on Windows. Qt did a good job on this matter.

I don't pay for Qt either.
                      Live is dreadful... too much scary progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X