Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 41 To Introduce Libadwaita For Helping To Define GNOME Apps

Phoronix: GNOME 41 To Introduce Libadwaita For Helping To Define GNOME Apps

GNOME 41 this autumn will be shipping with libadwaita, the successor and GTK4 port to GNOME's libhandy that will help to define the visual language and user experience for GNOME applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kudos to the GNOME & GTK teams for recognizing this coupling as a serious problem and taking steps to address it, for the good of both projects. I hope that this allows GTK to stay useful for more traditional UI paradigms. Looking forward to kicking the tires on GTK4 when I have an opportunity to.

Comment

GTK 4 seems amazing! I hope to see many applications ported. It seems like it has gotten a lot better!

I think the Adwaita theme is a bit inconsistent, the active/inactive tabs is dimmed differently for notebooks tabs than other tabs.

Comment

I have three separate comments to make.

1) I hope this will lead to actual theme support. Plugins don't count.

CTRL+F "theme"

Adwaita is both GNOME’s visual language and GTK’s default theme.
        If that's all they have to say on that then native theme support doesn't seem likely.

2) The commas on that blog. I don't know if tildearrow will be able to finish it due to there being so many comma errors.

We hope the GTK 4 users will enjoy the newly gained independence, and that GNOME application developers will feel empowered!
        3) More of a question than a comment: Does anyone else get ear-wigged with Babymetal's Awadama Fever whenever Adwaita is written about?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          GTK 4 seems amazing! I hope to see many applications ported. It seems like it has gotten a lot better!
          The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs like Xfce and I see Mate users are suffering from this too. GTK is not doing good. Honestly, I never liked GTK but it was okay before later GTK3 versions and it's getting worse. You might want to rename it to libgnome already so it would be less confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs like Xfce and I see Mate users are suffering from this too. GTK is not doing good. Honestly, I never liked GTK but it was okay before later GTK3 versions and it's getting worse. You might want to rename it to libgnome already so it would be less confusing.

GTK doesn't force and never forced usage of header bar. Nobody also forces you to make your GTK application comply to GNOME HID. You can still easily write traditional looking application with menu bar, toolbar etc. using GTK. Neither GTK+3 or GTK 4 changed this. Yes, GTK has own issues as well (like bad file chooser dialog or worse cross platform support compared to Qt) but GNOME design is not GTK feature. Try using MATE (already ported to GTK+3) and check if it's more similar to GNOME 2 or GNOME 3.

So do you have any reason why GTK+3 stopped being "okay" other than that you don't like GNOME 3?

Comment

WTF. Why not Gnome 50? Have they still not decided about the versioning scheme? This is getting awkward. If they change the versioning every month, people are just gonna stop caring.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
                The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs
                What majority? The loud one on Reddit? I'd like to see the proof of this.

like Xfce
                That's bad if you consider that XFCE is migrating to CSD for some apps for more than a year. So I again don't see the majority of users protesting.

Mate users are suffering
                Mate users suffer from any GTK development. Mate is still pushing the GNOME2 vibes, so expect the userbase to be kind of upset with anything that changes something in general.

GTK is not doing good.
                Actually GTK is doing damn good nowadays. 4.2 is now even easy to build on Windows. Sure there is a lot of room to improve but from what I can see it's now a lot better compared to anything we had in GTK+3 or 2.

I never liked GTK
                So who is in control here? Your head or your dislike?

You might want to rename it to libgnome already so it would be less confusing.
                See and that's why they just made this improvement to split out something into an gnome part (libadwaita) that can be used with GTK, but is not part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  WTF. Why not Gnome 50?
                  Because they have decided on going with GNOME40 and here is a something for you to solve:

40 + 1

people are just gonna stop caring.
                  That's the plan all along.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Have they still not decided about the versioning scheme?
                    They already decided: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/new-gn...ng-scheme/4235

Originally posted by Monsterovich
                    The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs like Xfce and I see Mate users are suffering from this too. GTK is not doing good.
                    Agreed. This is part of the reason I switched from xfce to KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X