X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

GTK doesn't force and never forced usage of header bar. Nobody also forces you to make your GTK application comply to GNOME HID. You can still easily write traditional looking application with menu bar, toolbar etc. using GTK. Neither GTK+3 or GTK 4 changed this. Yes, GTK has own issues as well (like bad file chooser dialog or worse cross platform support compared to Qt) but GNOME design is not GTK feature. Try using MATE (already ported to GTK+3) and check if it's more similar to GNOME 2 or GNOME 3.
    GNOME Classic retains the traditional layout too.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Originally posted by us View Post

You mean like the GNOME/GTK trolls that cry and spread FUD in KDE/Qt-related threads?
    Yeah.....like us GTK/Gnome fans warning KDE fanbois and C++ lovers for decades they were going to get burned one day by Trolltech and and whoever bought them in the future...( cough, QT, cough cough )
    Last edited by Jumbotron; 31 March 2021, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR
    Yawn! In every Gnome/GTK releated thread, there are legions of KDE trolls crying and spreading FUD. How boring.
    You mean like the GNOME/GTK trolls that cry and spread FUD in KDE/Qt-related threads?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

They already decided: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/new-gn...ng-scheme/4235

Agreed. This is part of the reason I switched from xfce to KDE.
    Ditto. GNOME and CSD moved me to XFCE. XFCE and CSD moved me to KDE.

IMHO, these days it feels like GNOME has fragmented the GTK ecosystem. Seems like half of GTK programs follow GNOME and CSD and the rest follow Mate and SSD. For the end user it just sucks; especially with distributions like Manjaro that offer multiple editions but all the tools are written in a GNOME/XFCE CSD style.

I hope libadwaita fixes that feeling of fragmentation I have.

Leave a comment:

• Monsterovich
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post
    What majority? The loud one on Reddit? I'd like to see the proof of this.
    We are legions. There are only a few GTK3 applications with CSD enabled (yet). Many of us use this hack which is present in every distro's main repository.

Mate users suffer from any GTK development.
    All GTK-based DEs suffer from GTK development. Xfce is still graphically broken in some places after the migration to GTK3 and this migration was not complete because a lot of xfce4 components have gtk2 in dependencies. For some reason, xfce4 become less lightweight after GTK3 update. I'm thinking of switching to KDE sometimes.

Mate is still pushing the GNOME2 vibes, so expect the userbase to be kind of upset with anything that changes something in general.
    Any DE except for GNOME3 (and later versions) is still pushing GNOME2 vibes because it's not trying to be a half-breed touchscreen rip-off.

4.2 is now even easy to build on Windows.
    How did they accomplish this? I'm not expecting from GTK4.2 to be easy to build on Windows after 20+ years of not being easy to build on Windows. I want GTK to be a cross-platform framework but the project is moving away from that starting with GNU/Linux.

So who is in control here? Your head or your dislike?
    Both. For me as a developer GTK is less efficient than Qt, it's less cross-platform friendly (that's why people use wxWidgets or Qt and not GTK) and lacks features because developers don't need them in GNOME. For a user... you know: broken themes, and CSD stuff.
    Last edited by Monsterovich; 31 March 2021, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR
    Yawn! In every Gnome/GTK releated thread, there are legions of KDE trolls crying and spreading FUD. How boring.
    Probably because in almost every KDE/Qt thread, there are legions of GNOME trolls crying and spreading FUD, including one particularly nasty/smelly one.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Have they still not decided about the versioning scheme?
    They already decided: https://discourse.gnome.org/t/new-gn...ng-scheme/4235

Originally posted by Monsterovich
    The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs like Xfce and I see Mate users are suffering from this too. GTK is not doing good.
    Agreed. This is part of the reason I switched from xfce to KDE.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    WTF. Why not Gnome 50?
    Because they have decided on going with GNOME40 and here is a something for you to solve:

40 + 1

people are just gonna stop caring.
    That's the plan all along.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
    The majority of the users don't enjoy GNOME's CSD in other GTK-based DEs
    What majority? The loud one on Reddit? I'd like to see the proof of this.

like Xfce
    That's bad if you consider that XFCE is migrating to CSD for some apps for more than a year. So I again don't see the majority of users protesting.

Mate users are suffering
    Mate users suffer from any GTK development. Mate is still pushing the GNOME2 vibes, so expect the userbase to be kind of upset with anything that changes something in general.

GTK is not doing good.
    Actually GTK is doing damn good nowadays. 4.2 is now even easy to build on Windows. Sure there is a lot of room to improve but from what I can see it's now a lot better compared to anything we had in GTK+3 or 2.

I never liked GTK
    So who is in control here? Your head or your dislike?

You might want to rename it to libgnome already so it would be less confusing.
    See and that's why they just made this improvement to split out something into an gnome part (libadwaita) that can be used with GTK, but is not part of it.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    WTF. Why not Gnome 50? Have they still not decided about the versioning scheme? This is getting awkward. If they change the versioning every month, people are just gonna stop caring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X