GTK 4.2 Released With NGL Renderer By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
    I compiled GTK4 from source earlier today in an effort to get GNOME40 running on Debian, and while I ultimately failed to get gnome-shell running, I was amazed at how easy it was to build GTK4.

Gnome-shell and mutter on the other hand is a bit of a pain. I did get it to compile eventually after chasing down a ton of dependencies, but it failed to run, complaining about not being able to find some libmutter-8.so or something. In my /usr/local where I installed everything I could find a corresponding symlink which seemed to lead nowhere.

I gave up, and after a few ninja uninstalls I'm now back to 3.38, which is fine but not exactly exciting.
    A day in the life of a midwit...

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
      Why not fedora rawhide Workstation?
      Junk.

Comment

GTK 4.2.0 is now available for download in the usual places.
        I get my 420 from the usual places too

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
          Since gnome-shell uses GTK4, does this mean that now the gnome-shell will draw all the desktop interface with the help of this renderer?
          gnome-shell doesn't use GTK4 to do its rendering. In fact it doesn't use and never used GTK for that at all.

Comment

Since gnome-shell uses GTK4, does this mean that now the gnome-shell will draw all the desktop interface with the help of this renderer?
            Gnome Shell is built using Clutter, in fact. The roadmap for ditching Clutter is by GTK 5, IIRC, when they're going to introduce similar graphics features straight into GTK core.

Comment

Gnome Shell uses Clutter/St mainly.

Comment

Well, if Gnome uses Clutter/St, I wonder why GTK4 is a dependency in Arch...

Comment

I was testing the NGL renderer on the Pinephone before it was released but unfortunately even though it supports GLES2 it is still too heavy for that weak hardware. Christopher who wrote that renderer said that there are multiple things that could be done to make it faster but somebody would have to pay for that. I doubt that Pine64 will because their focus is on Plasma now and Purism doesn't care about GLES2. I wish I had some experience with OpenGL...

Comment

Well, if Gnome uses Clutter/St, I wonder why GTK4 is a dependency in Arch...
                    GNOME is using GTK4, Shell isnt. But Shell does have dependencies on GTK for certain things, like the extensions app, and configuration dialogs.

Comment

What about using OpenGL ES or Vulkan instead of OpenGL?

Comment

Working...
                      X