Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 4.2 Released With NGL Renderer By Default

Phoronix: GTK 4.2 Released With NGL Renderer By Default

GTK 4.2 is out today as the newest stable release of this open-source toolkit and incorporates bug fixes and other improvements as a result of feedback from developers working on transitioning from GTK3 to GTK4...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...K-4.2-Released

Gonna check it out on my pinebook pro

Comment

Exciting release! Also, it is now insanely easy to compile gtk4 on windows, even without msys.

Comment

Better than Qt 5 ? The best thing about Qt 5 is that you don't need to go through the tedious process of installing annoying free updates.

Comment

I compiled GTK4 from source earlier today in an effort to get GNOME40 running on Debian, and while I ultimately failed to get gnome-shell running, I was amazed at how easy it was to build GTK4.

Gnome-shell and mutter on the other hand is a bit of a pain. I did get it to compile eventually after chasing down a ton of dependencies, but it failed to run, complaining about not being able to find some libmutter-8.so or something. In my /usr/local where I installed everything I could find a corresponding symlink which seemed to lead nowhere.

I gave up, and after a few ninja uninstalls I'm now back to 3.38, which is fine but not exactly exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            Exciting release! Also, it is now insanely easy to compile gtk4 on windows, even without msys.
            This sounds like a good news. I get that most here are anti-Windows, but some of us use it (yes, I do) and there are some apps that have had issues with GTK3, specifically thinking of the Deluge torrent client. Since (from what I understand) it is supposed to be easier to jump from 3 -> 4 that it was from 2 -> 3, maybe that could be the route they take, get to GTK 4. Anyway, nice to be cross-platform, especially since Windows has the largest desktop market share by a landslide, that is just reality right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
              I compiled GTK4 from source earlier today in an effort to get GNOME40 running on Debian, and while I ultimately failed to get gnome-shell running, I was amazed at how easy it was to build GTK4.

Gnome-shell and mutter on the other hand is a bit of a pain. I did get it to compile eventually after chasing down a ton of dependencies, but it failed to run, complaining about not being able to find some libmutter-8.so or something. In my /usr/local where I installed everything I could find a corresponding symlink which seemed to lead nowhere.

I gave up, and after a few ninja uninstalls I'm now back to 3.38, which is fine but not exactly exciting.
              Why not fedora rawhide Workstation? https://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linu...e/Workstation/

It has the latest gnome and gtk packages.
              Laughing1
              Last edited by Laughing1; 30 March 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post

Why not fedora rawhide Workstation? https://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linu...e/Workstation/

It has the latest gnome and gtk packages.
                I might give it a try just to get a peek at the latest stuff, but it's not like I plan to start distro-hopping my daily driver.

Comment

Since gnome-shell uses GTK4, does this mean that now the gnome-shell will draw all the desktop interface with the help of this renderer?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I might give it a try just to get a peek at the latest stuff, but it's not like I plan to start distro-hopping my daily driver.
                    Excellent idea. I love Fedora and bleeding edge stuff, but rawhide is just ... shudder

Comment

Working...
                    X