No announcement yet.

KDE Introduces "Quick Settings" Page, Lands More Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat idea with the quick settings - if you don't distrohop, you normally set them up once and if you reinstall a few years after you have no clue where they are anymore ^^

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

I remember that bug report, because I was the one who closed it. There was nothing for us to fix: you were using the PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1 environment variable to improve HiDPI on X11, which is known to worsen mixed-DPI multi-monitor setups (which are already not supported on X11) That's the trade-off you make when you use that setting, which is why it's not done by default. You have the option to stop using that environment variable, or you can use Wayland, where both HiDPI and mixed DPI display setups are properly supported. The Wayland session is improving by leaps and bounds and is quite close to usable IMO, and I'm super picky about what I consider usable, as I think you're aware.
      ngraham Thanks for working on Kwin_wayland.

If you would recall, some time back I raised a little complaint about how Plasma Wayland would always lock up on Nouveau unless QSG_RENDER_LOOP=basic was set, either via environment variables or via qtquicksettings, and even then there is no guarantee that the session won't eventually lock up after some time. Has this finally been fixed? Can Plasma on Wayland finally work properly on Nouveau without any fiddling around?

Also, when can the Plasma Wayland session be finally decoupled from any X dependencies, be it on bare metal X or XWayland? As it is, startplasmacompositor is simply a shell script which sets a bunch of variables, then runs startplasma which defines another ton of X-related stuff.

Comment

how good support of wayland is compare it to gnome performance ?

Comment

I remember that bug report, because I was the one who closed it. There was nothing for us to fix: you were using the PLASMA_USE_QT_SCALING=1 environment variable to improve HiDPI on X11, which is known to worsen mixed-DPI multi-monitor setups (which are already not supported on X11) That's the trade-off you make when you use that setting, which is why it's not done by default. You have the option to stop using that environment variable, or you can use Wayland, where both HiDPI and mixed DPI display setups are properly supported. The Wayland session is improving by leaps and bounds and is quite close to usable IMO, and I'm super picky about what I consider usable, as I think you're aware.
          I'm picky, too. While I understand the limitation you describe, if the same thing works on Wayland, I would have expected a "won't fix", not a "not a bug"

As for Wayland, as long as I can't use the start menu and the runner (bugs filed in 5.19, not even confirmed yet, iirc), it's not usable. I have noticed overall improvements, it used act up way more often, but without at least those two, I can't go Wayland.

PS I wasn't using Qt scaling to improve anything, but as a KDE user, when I saw that option, I had to see what it did.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm picky, too. While I understand the limitation you describe, if the same thing works on Wayland, I would have expected a "won't fix", not a "not a bug"

As for Wayland, as long as I can't use the start menu and the runner (bugs filed in 5.19, not even confirmed yet, iirc), it's not usable. I have noticed overall improvements, it used act up way more often, but without at least those two, I can't go Wayland.
            Can you paste the URLs of the bug reports?

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            PS I wasn't using Qt scaling to improve anything, but as a KDE user, when I saw that option, I had to see what it did.
            Then unset it, because if you're not using scaling (or are fine with old fashioned plasma scaling) on X11, then its only effe t is to worsen the already unsupported case of mixed DPI display setups

Comment

ngraham
              Unfortunately HiDPI doesn't work on KDE Wayland at all for me. I am running the latest KDE software stack that's available in Gentoo ~amd64. I have a display with 123DPI (AG241QX), but unfortunately it reports the wrong size/dimensions and defaults to 96DPI. I could override width/height in xorg.conf.d and get perfect scaling in X11 without artifacts (unlike fractional scaling). Is there any way to override DPI/monitor dimensions in a KDE Wayland session?

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                ngraham
                Unfortunately HiDPI doesn't work on KDE Wayland at all for me. I am running the latest KDE software stack that's available in Gentoo ~amd64. I have a display with 123DPI (AG241QX), but unfortunately it reports the wrong size/dimensions and defaults to 96DPI. I could override width/height in xorg.conf.d and get perfect scaling in X11 without artifacts (unlike fractional scaling). Is there any way to override DPI/monitor dimensions in a KDE Wayland session?
                Yes you can override the DPI in the Fonts KCm (at least as of Plasma 5.21.4), but I don't know of a way to correct the dimensions being reported incorrectly. You should file a bug report on https://bugs.kde.org to KScreen | Common so we can investigate why the display's dimensions are mis-reported. That's not something that a user should have to work around; it should just work automatically.

Comment

Will do. Thank you very much! ngraham

Comment

Can you paste the URLs of the bug reports?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=427921 (will retest this later, it wasn't working last time I checked) Edit: still there, alive and well.

Then unset it, because if you're not using scaling (or are fine with old fashioned plasma scaling) on X11, then its only effe t is to worsen the already unsupported case of mixed DPI display setups
                    You can imagine I've reverted the change right after I filed the bug report. I actually reverted it 10 minutes after it started misbehaving, than enabled it again to test properly and submit the bug report. And then reverted it again.
                    I am actually using scaling, 100% is a bit too much for 4k, even at 32"...
                    Last edited by bug77; 29 March 2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

If a bug that's marked as fixed is still happening to you, you can re-opening. Be sure to mention which version you're using though.

Comment

Working...
                      X