X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• markus40
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    So yeah, there's clearly a lack of argumentation and a lot of intolerance + arrogance from these trolls, and your simplistic message without any nuance is another good example of that. Cutting corners won't help your case.
    Point on the doll were Gnome has hurt you.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by markus40 View Post

No, they are not as amusing as they were in the past.
    Where they cried the end of Gnome with the introduction Gnome 2.x
    Where they bemoaned the introduction of anti-aliased fonts.
    Scoffing at the introduction of udev and automatic mounting of external devices.
    The screams of traitor and Judas when Xorg rose from the ashes of XFree86 development.
    The hurrahs and proclaiming the ending of Gnome subservient to KDE 3.x, (as I liked to call it 'all your problems will be solved in the next point release' desktop) and the coming Linux desktop behemoth KDE 4.x
    The silent retreat when KDE 4.x showed its colors. Next release will fix all the bugs, trust us again cried the Gnome hater/KDE aficionado
    The very funny but predictable, putting the formerly too bad to be usable, Gnome 2.x, on a pedestal of perfection when Gnome 3.x saw the day of light.
    The similar promise of the rise of XFCE after Gnome 3.x.
    I saw all of it in the last 23 years of using Gnome as my main desktop. The current batch are pale clones of the great trolls of the past.

Just for laughs, here is a KDE developer view on KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHza5X2Jt2g
    This must annoy the Gnome hater to no end.
    I certainly don't consider myself as a troll (144hz is one), but these are lazy shortcuts once again.
    I absolutely embraced the Unity/Gnome Shell paradigm back in 2010/2011 and immediately thought Gnome 2 and its children (Mate or Cinnamon) were doomed to survive. Which already proves your simplistic assumptions wrong. I was actually excited.
    Now, the problem is Gnome Shell never lived up to its promises from my point of view, while Unity certainly did. This is subjective of course.
    But I've always justified at length the reasons why Gnome keeps getting in my way and being a distraction to my workflow (e.g: starting into the overview is yet another extra step to do actual stuff for me).
    The only (non-) arguments Gnome trolls (the extremists, not the measured ones) are able to come up with is

"Nobody care about your workflow, it is the only modern* paradigm and this is the way forward so you should adapt".

*another lazy shortcut

So yeah, there's clearly a lack of argumentation and a lot of intolerance + arrogance from these trolls, and your simplistic message without any nuance is another good example of that. Cutting corners won't help your case.
    Last edited by Mez'; 25 March 2021, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    Due to amdgpu kernel driver bugs; maybe you're hitting that as well? Check
    Code:
    journalctl [email protected] -b0
    for cursor related messages.
    There are no such journalctl entries listed.

Leave a comment:

• BesiegedAce
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    oshan.wisumperuma
    BesiegedAce

It's clear that Gtk and Nautilus don't care about people who work with images.
    It may suck, but they're not Red Hat's user target.
    I don't see how you need to be an image-focused user to want a filepicker with thumbnails. Especially when it's been a feature elsewhere for literal decades.

Leave a comment:

• BesiegedAce
    replied

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I just love all these anti-GNOME trolls with all the FUD they are spreading...
    Originally posted by markus40 View Post
    <snip>
    Call me when GNOME/GTK gets a filepicker with thumbnails. This would not be nearly as egregious an issue if I could say, resize the single-file preview panel, or really configure the filepicker beyond just how files are sorted or whatever.
    Last edited by BesiegedAce; 25 March 2021, 05:02 PM. Reason: Added another sentence

Leave a comment:

• Hash
    replied
    GNOME still uses Java and 1 Core of th CPU? lmao

Leave a comment:

• Hash
    replied
    GNOME still uses Java and 1 Core of th CPU? lmao

Leave a comment:

• markus40
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I just love all these anti-GNOME trolls with all the FUD they are spreading...
    No, they are not as amusing as they were in the past.
    Where they cried the end of Gnome with the introduction Gnome 2.x
    Where they bemoaned the introduction of anti-aliased fonts.
    Scoffing at the introduction of udev and automatic mounting of external devices.
    The screams of traitor and Judas when Xorg rose from the ashes of XFree86 development.
    The hurrahs and proclaiming the ending of Gnome subservient to KDE 3.x, (as I liked to call it 'all your problems will be solved in the next point release' desktop) and the coming Linux desktop behemoth KDE 4.x
    The silent retreat when KDE 4.x showed its colors. Next release will fix all the bugs, trust us again cried the Gnome hater/KDE aficionado
    The very funny but predictable, putting the formerly too bad to be usable, Gnome 2.x, on a pedestal of perfection when Gnome 3.x saw the day of light.
    The similar promise of the rise of XFCE after Gnome 3.x.
    I saw all of it in the last 23 years of using Gnome as my main desktop. The current batch are pale clones of the great trolls of the past.

Just for laughs, here is a KDE developer view on KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHza5X2Jt2g
    This must annoy the Gnome hater to no end.
    Last edited by markus40; 25 March 2021, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Speaking as someone who actually used software cursor with GNOME Wayland for some time[0], I can assure you it's not really the same.
    It's definitely not better vs. using a software cursor on Windows.

Due to amdgpu kernel driver bugs; maybe you're hitting that as well? Check
    Code:
    journalctl [email protected] -b0
    for cursor related messages.
    I can take another look.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Gnome 3 was so good that the community created 3 brand new desktop environment and resumed Gnome 2 into mate. Despite all the workforce that RH is able to tuck into Gnome, smaller teams with almost zero resources did more, and better, with less. Elementary, Budgie, Zorin even POP-Shell try to fix Gnome, have better usability and better ergonomic and do not blame people when thing are simply counter-intuitive.

Someone wanted shift Gnome from a project into a product and things can just go worst. And what it is the point to have a DE that every six months break the ABI/API? Where is the stability? I am happy and productive with another solution that allows me to tailor my environment the way I need because it is designed to empower me not to restrict me.

To finish, once Compiz was a reason to use Linux today Gnome 3(4,5,6 etc...) is a reason to not use it at all...
    All of that. Especially that. And obviously that (even if you don't mention the one you use, I can easily imagine how it empowers you more).
    Sometimes a like is not enough, and this deserves some further emphasis.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X