X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    oshan.wisumperuma
    BesiegedAce

It's clear that Gtk and Nautilus don't care about people who work with images.
    It may suck, but they're not Red Hat's user target.
    I don't see how you need to be an image-focused user to want a filepicker with thumbnails. Especially when it's been a feature elsewhere for literal decades.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
      Due to amdgpu kernel driver bugs; maybe you're hitting that as well? Check
      Code:
      journalctl [email protected] -b0
      for cursor related messages.
      There are no such journalctl entries listed.

Comment

Originally posted by markus40 View Post

No, they are not as amusing as they were in the past.
        Where they cried the end of Gnome with the introduction Gnome 2.x
        Where they bemoaned the introduction of anti-aliased fonts.
        Scoffing at the introduction of udev and automatic mounting of external devices.
        The screams of traitor and Judas when Xorg rose from the ashes of XFree86 development.
        The hurrahs and proclaiming the ending of Gnome subservient to KDE 3.x, (as I liked to call it 'all your problems will be solved in the next point release' desktop) and the coming Linux desktop behemoth KDE 4.x
        The silent retreat when KDE 4.x showed its colors. Next release will fix all the bugs, trust us again cried the Gnome hater/KDE aficionado
        The very funny but predictable, putting the formerly too bad to be usable, Gnome 2.x, on a pedestal of perfection when Gnome 3.x saw the day of light.
        The similar promise of the rise of XFCE after Gnome 3.x.
        I saw all of it in the last 23 years of using Gnome as my main desktop. The current batch are pale clones of the great trolls of the past.

Just for laughs, here is a KDE developer view on KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHza5X2Jt2g
        This must annoy the Gnome hater to no end.
        I certainly don't consider myself as a troll (144hz is one), but these are lazy shortcuts once again.
        I absolutely embraced the Unity/Gnome Shell paradigm back in 2010/2011 and immediately thought Gnome 2 and its children (Mate or Cinnamon) were doomed to survive. Which already proves your simplistic assumptions wrong. I was actually excited.
        Now, the problem is Gnome Shell never lived up to its promises from my point of view, while Unity certainly did. This is subjective of course.
        But I've always justified at length the reasons why Gnome keeps getting in my way and being a distraction to my workflow (e.g: starting into the overview is yet another extra step to do actual stuff for me).
        The only (non-) arguments Gnome trolls (the extremists, not the measured ones) are able to come up with is

"Nobody care about your workflow, it is the only modern* paradigm and this is the way forward so you should adapt".

*another lazy shortcut

So yeah, there's clearly a lack of argumentation and a lot of intolerance + arrogance from these trolls, and your simplistic message without any nuance is another good example of that. Cutting corners won't help your case.
        Last edited by Mez'; 25 March 2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          So yeah, there's clearly a lack of argumentation and a lot of intolerance + arrogance from these trolls, and your simplistic message without any nuance is another good example of that. Cutting corners won't help your case.
          Point on the doll were Gnome has hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            It's definitely not better vs. using a software cursor on Windows.
            Cursor in windows 10 is lagging as hell. In Gnome it's perfectly smooth on my box. Even in games.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post

I don't see how you need to be an image-focused user to want a filepicker with thumbnails. Especially when it's been a feature elsewhere for literal decades.
              Of course, but for those users Gnome is definitely worse than the alternatives.
              And the worst thing it's the devs attitude.
              Barring that users should not even have ask for basic features in projects that present themselves as Gnome does, reading some of the answers in those long standing issues on gitlab is infuriating

Comment

Originally posted by markus40 View Post
                I saw all of it in the last 23 years of using Gnome as my main desktop. The current batch are pale clones of the great trolls of the past.

Just for laughs, here is a KDE developer view on KDE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHza5X2Jt2g
                This must annoy the Gnome hater to no end.
                Do you seriously think anyone who criticizes Gnome is a troll/hater?
                Can't it be that they are valid criticisms?

If you want I can make a list of weaknesses in Gnome that we can discuss and you can tell me if I am a troll or a legitimate user.

By the way the dev in the video works mostly on design and in the video speaks mostly of visual consistency and touch support.
                Touch support in Gnome is arguably the best among all Linux desktops. Everybody knows that to the point that one of the common critiques is that is too touch oriented!

Also, I don't think anybody ever disputed Gnome's visual consistency, with the notable exeption of message dialogs.
                They're the only dialog with buttons where they should be, that is at the bottom.
                To me it's super weird that action popups put the actions visually before the information the user will act upon.

The first thing he mentions is the new gestures.
                They're cool. Nobody argues with that.
                And I hope they appear on Kde too.
                The problem is that they're nothing new. Mac os had them for ages. With the same gestures and the same identical controllable animations.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Cursor in windows 10 is lagging as hell.
                  It's your brain that makes it lag, as it consumes too much energy hating Windows.
                  Not saying one shouldn't hate Windows, but with this specimen it's way too pathologic...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    It's your brain that makes it lag, as it consumes too much energy hating Windows.
                    Not saying one shouldn't hate Windows, but with this specimen it's way too pathologic...
                    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-b8308d56134b

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...in-windows-10/

It seems there's no future for this specimen. Hopefully, evolution will just delete it. Have anything to say now or the rests of your brain just got deleted?
                    Last edited by Volta; 25 March 2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                      even now it has less features than unity 7
                      I've never seen the scrollbar look and feel replicated elsewhere. When not in use it'd be thin and out of the way (but still high contrast so it's not like you'd miss it), and it'd be big when interacting with it, and at that point it'd also get and up and down button of its own that you could click on. I found it really sleek but it didn't seem to catch on in other DEs.

Comment

Working...
                      X