GNOME 40 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    You failed to mention the biggest change, which is the horizontal workspace layout (yes, it's more than just the dash being at the bottom). This change shows that Gnome focuses on a single primary market, which is those using only a laptop with no mouse and no external monitors; other configurations (multiple monitors, ultra wide monitors, etc) are considered a secondary market of little importance.
    You know, when Gnome Shell was first released, the vertical layout was something it was criticised for, because it was "gratuitously different" to pretty much every other desktop that used a horizontal layout.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

You failed to mention the biggest change, which is the horizontal workspace layout (yes, it's more than just the dash being at the bottom). This change shows that Gnome focuses on a single primary market, which is those using only a laptop with no mouse and no external monitors; other configurations (multiple monitors, ultra wide monitors, etc) are considered a secondary market of little importance. I don't know if there are any statistics of how many users use external monitors or prefer mouse over touchpads, so I won't judge whether Gnome's decision is right or wrong. Personally, while I absolutely prefer the vertical layout, I don't think I'll switch away from Gnome, simply because I'm not aware of an alternative that is good enough and does it vertically; everyone seems to focus on that same market of laptop exclusive users. KDE offers vertical workspace layout, but then KDE's workspaces view was useless the last time I tried it.
        As far as I understand, workspace switching is not only done with gestures, but also keyboard shortcuts and keyboard+mouse via the scroll wheel. Actually there seems to be a HUGE improvement with multi monitors. Now you can switch workspaces easily on all monitors, no only the primary as in Gnome 3, so I understand you won' t need to pile up all applications on a monitor and leave the secondary one static.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

I have Fedora Silverblue 34 beta with GNOME 40 RC, and yeah there's no tabs anymore, there's like 11 options total now. Apparently when they decided to make the preferences window adaptive they also decided to simplify it. The only features they actually removed are deciding what to do with executable text files (need to always right click and then click "Run as a program" now) and disabling the confirmation for emptying the trash, everything else is either present elsewhere or just condensed.

MR for reference: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/613
          Thanks for the information.
          It's not much lost indeed. Although I've read someone lately who wanted the confirmation for the trash.

Originally posted by plasticbomb1986 View Post

Anyone recommend a good but simple file manager?

Something is wrong at my system, until now i was able to run shell script starter for the cryptominer, but now its just freeze for a littlebit, then does nothing. When i try to start it from nautilus, doubleclick, i had set it to ask me what to do with them files, but now nothing comes up, and when i use the run as program, does the same. When i start the script from terminal, its running fine.
          Indeed, I just tested in Nautilus and can't start them anymore with double click either. Probably something to do with (what they think is) security.
          These shell scripts work in nemo.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

You know, when Gnome Shell was first released, the vertical layout was something it was criticised for, because it was "gratuitously different" to pretty much every other desktop that used a horizontal layout.
            Is the app grid also horizontal now? I thought it was only the workspaces...
            I've always had them vertical on Android, so for me it'll feel unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by oshan.wisumperuma View Post
              Why am I not surprised that it still has no thumbnails? KDE's filepicker on the other hand is amazing, all the features one could ever want in a filepicker and more. It's been ages and the GTK/GNOME filepicker still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Thanks for the information.
                It's not much lost indeed. Although I've read someone lately who wanted the confirmation for the trash.

Indeed, I just tested in Nautilus and can't start them anymore with double click either. Probably something to do with (what they think is) security.
                These shell scripts work in nemo.
                Well, if it would be only just the double click, but they wont start either with the Run as program in the right click menu... Dunno whats goin on... Have no mood today to actually troubleshoot, just wanna play Satisfactory with the new Update 4.

Comment

To me my main worry is GTK4: I don't really use Gnome all that much, but I am using GTK3 to get the look and feel I want on my main computer. I actually am using the CDE theme from nsCDE (don't ask), which relies on GTK3... Now I am at the mercy of the nsCDE project for it to update, or learn how to do it myself... I know it'll be years (GTK2 is still a thing), but I like future proofing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    Is the app grid also horizontal now? I thought it was only the workspaces...
                    I've always had them vertical on Android, so for me it'll feel unnatural.
                    No idea, I've never really used it, since keyboard support has always been so convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                      What is this supposed to mean? Before 3D-accelerated desktop effects there was no concept of "horizontal" nor "vertical". Virtual desktops were just switched from A to B without any transitioning effect. The pager widget on a toolbar usually supported arbitrary configurations from fully horizontal to fully vertical to a grid composition. For those using a horizontal taskbar, the pager widget would have a horizontal layout, and for those using a vertical taskbar it would most likely be vertical.

Compiz introduced the desktop effects and is most famous for the "cube" effect. Yeah, that effect indeed had a horizontal layout of vdesks. I believe there were other effects with alternate layouts, though. I cannot recall whether it was Kwin or Compiz, but while a KDE user myself, I actually favoured a 2x2 grid alignment of virtual desktops. The gist is, however, that the alignment was configurable.

After moving to Gnome I understood how much its vdesk configuration made sense. Not only is vertical transitioning much more efficient, Gnome's transitioning effect always moved to the adjacent "virtual virtual desktop", skipping all the views in between the source and destination. KDE's effects to this day cannot do this, so if I switch from desktop 1 to desktop 4, the stupid effect will scroll through three virtual desktops and it looks hideous!

Comment

Working...
                      X