GNOME 40 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    Unusable from your point of view suggesting the inability to adapt and learn on a minimalist desktop environment.
    There's a difference between "willing" and "able". Could I take the time out of my day, to review the GNOME flavor of the day UI navigation methods? Sure. Do I want to? No thanks, not interested, I have better things to do, like getting real work done.

Examples abound where convention and familiarity in the user interface are extremely important. Think about the car you drive in real life. Could you operate it successfully with WASD keyboard controls instead of the steering wheel and pedals? Probably. Would you want to? Probably not. Would the general public respond well if you forced this change on them? Absolutely not, and it would almost certainly result in a huge number of crashes, as it takes time to de-program your muscle memory and replace it with something new and unfamiliar. If you offered it as an option, nearly 100% would reject it, not because they have some "inability to adapt", but rather because it's simply not worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      So the Linux ecosystem has a major release, and it is a desktop release, which also means visuals. How your stuff looks, how things are arranged is important, right?

Yet this article managed to be super short one without a single screenshot, 10 lines, 2 links. Go read somewhere else. Thanks for the click tho.

Nice.
      As much as Phoronix lacks visuals in general, on the particular topic of Gnome 40 I think there has been a crapton of visuals and an overdose of news every other days these last couple of months. And there were visuals along the way. It's not like it changed much after the RC or after Fedora 34 beta.
      So, I wouldn't blame Michael this time around, I'm actually glad he spared us the redundancy. Sometimes too much is too much.

Comment

I just got the update to Nautilus/Files 40. I'm using Nemo as it's much more powerful, but still wanted to check.

Am I dreaming or it has like 5 options in Preferences now?
        If so, that's just laughable.

Or is it because I didn't upgrade the shell itself and don't get other tabs?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I just got the update to Nautilus/Files 40. I'm using Nemo as it's much more powerful, but still wanted to check.

Am I dreaming or it has like 5 options in Preferences now?
          If so, that's just laughable.

Or is it because I didn't upgrade the shell itself and don't get other tabs?
          I have Fedora Silverblue 34 beta with GNOME 40 RC, and yeah there's no tabs anymore, there's like 11 options total now. Apparently when they decided to make the preferences window adaptive they also decided to simplify it. The only features they actually removed are deciding what to do with executable text files (need to always right click and then click "Run as a program" now) and disabling the confirmation for emptying the trash, everything else is either present elsewhere or just condensed.

MR for reference: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/613
          Last edited by X_m7; 24 March 2021, 10:04 PM. Reason: Added the MR where the changes happened

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Seems usable for desktop usage if you like the UI. Though on Wayland
            -cursor still has input lag of a software cursor
            -frame presentation with vsync < refresh rate for games in Wine/Proton looks more stuttery than it should
            -grabbing scroll bar in FF Wayland isn't smooth

Not directly related to Wayland:
            -changes to GPU gamma ramps still use legacy interface and thus cause missed vblanks
            -Nautilus' performance of displaying folder content is still really bad

Nice progress overall, but I really hope the next version will be suited better for gaming.
            Do you have bug reports for any (or all) of that?

BTW: cursor is always "software". The GPU does not talk to the touchpad or the mouse adapter. Input lag refers to the lag in handling input events and converting them into cursor position updates or rendering commands (which happens on the CPU, obviously). Hardware rendering of the mouse cursor (which has been implemented in Mutter/Wayland quite some time ago) has nothing to do with input lag.
            Last edited by intelfx; 24 March 2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Yes GNOME 40 use GTK 4 as extension are required to switch to that toolkit for compatibility.
              https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/20...s-to-gnome-40/
              Thanks for this!

Comment

I have never seen Gnome 1.x but the difference between Gnome 2.x and 3.x was abysmal. I would be expected the same pattern between Gnome 3.x and Gnome 40.x ... ... But unfortunately Gnome 40.x looks quite similar to Gnome 3.x it is always ugly but differently...

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

I have Fedora Silverblue 34 beta with GNOME 40 RC, and yeah there's no tabs anymore, there's like 11 options total now. Apparently when they decided to make the preferences window adaptive they also decided to simplify it. The only features they actually removed are deciding what to do with executable text files (need to always right click and then click "Run as a program" now) and disabling the confirmation for emptying the trash, everything else is either present elsewhere or just condensed.

MR for reference: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/613
                  Anyone recommend a good but simple file manager?

Something is wrong at my system, until now i was able to run shell script starter for the cryptominer, but now its just freeze for a littlebit, then does nothing. When i try to start it from nautilus, doubleclick, i had set it to ask me what to do with them files, but now nothing comes up, and when i use the run as program, does the same. When i start the script from terminal, its running fine.

Comment

Originally posted by plasticbomb1986 View Post

Something is wrong at my system, until now i was able to run shell script starter for the cryptominer, but now its just freeze for a littlebit, then does nothing. When i try to start it from nautilus, doubleclick, i had set it to ask me what to do with them files, but now nothing comes up, and when i use the run as program, does the same. When i start the script from terminal, its running fine.
                    mc for midnight commander, fff written in bash, lf written in go, ranger written in go.

Comment

Originally posted by plasticbomb1986 View Post

thunar is pretty good. there's also nemo.

Comment

Working...
                      X