GNOME 40 Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats.
    Now, If only they reduce their memory footprint And merge their control panel (or maybe there'll be new control panel extension? say, super tweak tools, or.. tweak tools extended?)

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Meh, the constant UI changes make GNOME basically unusable. They want you to study and memorize all these new key combinations and desktop workflows.
      Unusable from your point of view suggesting the inability to adapt and learn on a minimalist desktop environment. In this case GNOME Shell major changes is the overview displayed by default, position of the dash at the bottom similar to MacOS, improvement of workspace navigation and keyboard (essential the same but enhanced). The desktop workflow is very easy to work on without distraction. GNOME Classic is still available for the more conservative users.
      Last edited by finalzone; 24 March 2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

updated this for those playing along at home ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43TB5SQ8qJg

Comment

Really wish that there was standardisation around use of the compose key for the generation of emoji.

ie [compose]+( "smile" [enter]
          or [compose]+( ":-)" [enter]

or some such relatively intuitive pattern, and have the gnome keyboard settings app actually list what these patterns are instead of having everyone on the planet googling it because there's no coordination between the developers and the UI designers.
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 24 March 2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Seems usable for desktop usage if you like the UI. Though on Wayland
            1 -cursor still has input lag of a software cursor
            2 -frame presentation with vsync < refresh rate for games in Wine/Proton looks more stuttery than it should
            3 -grabbing scroll bar in FF Wayland isn't smooth

Not directly related to Wayland:
            4 -changes to GPU gamma ramps still use legacy interface and thus cause missed vblanks
            5 -Nautilus' performance of displaying folder content is still really bad

Nice progress overall, but I really hope the next version will be suited better for gaming.
            1 - agreed but for me is not noticeable on my RX570 8GB(1080p60), at least not easily
            2 - Well this is more an Xwayland issue
            3 - agreed but i notice this also on X11 as well
            4 - haven't tested but yeah make sense
            5 - i've never seen this happens to me, for me is basically instantaneous even for folder with thousands of videos with previews(NVME and HDD drives with XFS/ZFS), or am i missing something here

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
              Unusable from your point of view suggesting the inability to adapt and learn on a minimalist desktop environ.
              Blaming the user it's usually a symptom of poor design...

Comment

even now it has less features than unity 7

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                  2 - Well this is more an Xwayland issue
                  XWayland looks as smooth as native Xorg with mailbox or proper fifo vsync and properly working direct scanout in kwin git-master.
                  It might be that direct scanout of Gnome doesn't work for Wine/Proton, as in kwin it required some extra window conditions to be ignored to prevent inhibiting of direct scanout. Either it's something like that or Gnome's frame presentation scheduling still needs work.

3 - agreed but i notice this also on X11 as well
                  Didn't test Gnome on Xorg, but it's smooth with KWin Xorg.

5 - i've never seen this happens to me, for me is basically instantaneous even for folder with thousands of videos with previews(NVME and HDD drives with XFS/ZFS), or am i missing something here
                  There is a general few hundred milliseconds sluggishness, regardless the folder content. It's instant with Thunar or Dolphin.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    even now it has less features than unity 7
                    fewer

Comment

I assume Gnome 40 is using GTK 4, or is it still on GTK 3? Or can it use either, or does it use a combination of both? It doesn't really matter, but I am curious and the GTK 4 release seems a positive direction overall.

I had a Fedora 34 pre-release install (as dual-boot) going but GRUB crapped out on my and was not an easy way to fix. I could have tried harder, but not a big deal. I just downloaded the Fedora 34 beta net installer, going to give that a go and just overwrite the hosed install.

Comment

Working...
                      X