X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    The most damning yet honest part of it which says it all about the "wonderful" state of the Wayland ecosystem:
    It says more about XFCE state and you.

Leave a comment:

• acobar
    replied
    Xfce used to be my second DE.

There were two situations when I had to resort to it frequently:
    - when KDE config files were using dynamically generated signatures for config files preferences, and after some break-up it would not load properly (this must be one of the stupidest use of signatures in the history of computing);
    - when Qt changed that way sub-process signals were handled, breaking vlc, octave and other qt-based applications under linux/KDE. For some time I had to run Octave under Xfce until a workaround was used (it was another stupid decision).

I still like it, even though I fire it only occasionally. Hopefully, it will skip mutter and will have a solution based on wlroots or Mir.

Wish the current developers crop the best.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Finally. We don't have enough lightweight feature-complete Wayland-compatible desktop environments.

Leave a comment:

• r_a_trip
    replied
    The most damning yet honest part of it which says it all about the "wonderful" state of the Wayland ecosystem:

"We do not have the resources to maintain our own Wayland compositor"
    To be honest, they also don't have the resources to maintain their own X-server. Either way, they will need to do something. X.org is undead. it might go a long time, but no new developments. Obsolescence lurks in the future. Better to build on an existing Wayland solution than fade into irrelevance as an X desktop that couldn't make the jump.

You might not like the demise of X, but the people doing the work have decided. We better get with the program.

Leave a comment:

• juxuanu
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

They either want to use Mutter or upgrade their existing compositor with wlroots.
    Nice, I think that it is a good idea.

Do you have any source for that? I'd like to read what the devs say.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
    Then use an existing compositor. (?)
    They either want to use Mutter or upgrade their existing compositor with wlroots.

Leave a comment:

• juxuanu
    replied
    Then use an existing compositor. (?)

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    The most important yet omitted link: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

As long as Wayland "works" for the "default" desktop who cares, right?

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    The most important yet omitted link: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

We do not have the resources to maintain our own Wayland compositor
    Originally posted by chromer View Post

Finally Wayland is coming to XFCE...
    No, it's not, not in time for 4.18 release at least.

Leave a comment:

• chromer
    replied
    Features that Affect the Entire Xfce Core

Finally Wayland is coming to XFCE...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X