Firefox 87 Released With Privacy Improvements But Backs Out AVIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    And all of these require you to trust the vendor (Firefox or Google). I do not.
    Err no. The code is FOSS, you can simply check if the sync code. It should be easy to see if any data is send unencrypted and where the keys are stored.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

The key is stored locally on your computer. Instead of guessing, you can read more about the design here. They use accounts because otherwise they would have to do what Brave does and make you manually sync keys from one device to another, with the potential for catastrophic data loss if your device was ever lost or stolen.
      The original Firefox Sync protocol worked like that and it often caused data-loss to users who didn't understand how it worked. This is the main reason why it was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        And all of these require you to trust the vendor (Firefox or Google). I do not. And who is to say they don't change the behavior silently in a future release? Google has a reputation in the business practices of both violating privacy, and of sudden un-announced changes to their services. Your browser auto-updates, and bam, privacy violated. No thanks.
        Not necessarily. Firefox Sync still allows self-hosting of a sync server. Initial set-up can be a bit tricky, but once it works, it works.
        Just be aware of security implications that some parts of Firefox Sync still rely on Python2, so think about some sandboxing like containers.
        I've been running a Mozilla Sync Server in my home (on a small single-board computer) for years.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

I kind of wish that JPEG XL would prevail over AVIF.
          AVIF is a heavily complex image compression alogrithm that for all its complexity doesn't really offer distinguishably better quality over JPEG XL.
          And considering its complexity, it would probably never replace the original Jpeg.

JPEG XL on the other hand, being much simpler codec, could be implemented on lower performance devices like Arduinos, Esp32, etc., and could offer a ubiquitous replacement for the current Jpeg.
          In addition, it is a great archival format, because XL has the capability to encode existing Jpegs losslessly (it can decompress them back to original Jpegs without any loss of quality if necessary).
          And there's plenty of other useful features, like the capability of partial downloads for lower resolution devices (so web servers don't have to hold multiple copies of the same image, to serve for different devices).

AVIF is a simple hack of extracting still image encoder out from a video codec.
          But the effect is that you wanted a banana, an you got a gorilla holding the banana and the entire jungle along.
          It's a quick an dirty solution for a browser that contains that video codec anyway ... but a loss for the rest of the industry.
          Very much this.

I'm looking forward to JPEG XL much more than AVIF.

Comment

Working...
          X