Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Saw More Wayland Fixes This Week, Other Changes

Phoronix: KDE Saw More Wayland Fixes This Week, Other Changes

As we get ready for spring, KDE developers continue polishing up their Wayland support for the Plasma 5.22 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what's their position on Fedora enabling KDE Wayland for default? Seems like KDE feeling pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
      I wonder what's their position on Fedora enabling KDE Wayland for default? Seems like KDE feeling pressure.
      I thought it was only Fedora Gnome that defaulted to Wayland. Last time I tried KDE on wayland it was not a good experience. But admittedly it has been a while since i tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
        I thought it was only Fedora Gnome that defaulted to Wayland. Last time I tried KDE on wayland it was not a good experience. But admittedly it has been a while since i tried it.
        Next Fedora release is slated to default to Wayland unless absolute deal breakers are being discovered.

I'm not a KDE member but from what I can see from the outside, it appears the people who were doing the Wayland work are happy that their work will get broader consumption. It's probably what's pushing SDDM to revive ancient Wayland patches again after years of doing nothing in that area.

Comment

Awesome! KDE keeps getting better and better without getting stricter and stricter. The best DE ever.

Comment

they should focused in wayland early

kde is too late in wayland race

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

Better late than never. (XFCE?)

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

First and foremost, "too late" is very different of being late, what, some may say, may be the KDE case.

Second, I blame the authors of Wayland for not giving enough upfront thought about how the project should be developed. It is clear, and has being since the beginning, that "it is just a protocol" would foster division and curtail joint efforts. A proper library should be there for all DEs to use. I understand that this pattern is quite common on FOSS projects, but replacement of X is not something like some other efforts, it is one of the underpinnings of FOSS OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

First and foremost, "too late" is very different of being late, what, some may say, may be the KDE case.

Second, I blame the authors of Wayland for not giving enough upfront thought about how the project should be developed. It is clear, and has being since the beginning, that "it is just a protocol" would foster division and curtail joint efforts. A proper library should be there for all DEs to use. I understand that this pattern is quite common on FOSS projects, but replacement of X is not something like some other efforts, it is one of the underpinnings of FOSS OSs.
                  X was being used as a dumb framebuffer though, window managers already did their own thing and bypassed 99% of the cruft. Wayland is a statement of that reality. GNOME and KDE are fundamentally different, despite the visible result--interactive graphical elements displayed in a screen--being similar.

For a "proper library" there's wlroots, but none of the big names are going to use it. If Xfce ever joins the Wayland party, I bet they'll be backporting whatever GNOME is doing at the moment, since they use GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    I am running KDE on Fedora 33 for my work laptop (its actually the official Fedora KDE spin image) and it defaults to X, not Wayland (although you do have the option of using Waylandd when you login via KDE's SSDM).

I did try wayland for a bit and there are still quite a few bugs so it makes no sense making it a default (i.e. transparency doesn't seem to work and dropdown terminals like Yakuake have incorrect positioning). This is on a Thinkpad T14s which is one of the most well supported Linux laptops.

Comment

Working...
                    X