GNOME 40 Release Candidate Arrives Ahead Of Next Week's Official Debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
    I think it's going to end the X11-vs-Wayland and OpenGL-vs-Vulkan debates.
    There will probably be a few staunch nutty Linux users who keep flaming about it. They are out there.

Wayland tends to already be default, so that's most of the deciding factor already done. The last bit is the compatibility which looks to be sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      GNOME Music is not so useful because it only wants to look for music in ~/Music/ but many people like to store their music on /media/Music/
      Same for VLC.

What I usually do is to create a symbolic link from my music directory to ~/Music and it works fine.

Comment

I suggest to not upgrade yet: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/-/issues/387
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

There will probably be a few staunch nutty Linux users who keep flaming about it. They are out there.

Wayland tends to already be default, so that's most of the deciding factor already done. The last bit is the compatibility which looks to be sooner than later.
          how's game performance and latency under it? last time i messed with it latency was noticeably higher in some of my games. like the outer worlds. under X with no compositing fast paced games are extremely responsive and smooth. also did gnome fix the 1000hz mouse bug? super high cpu usage and laggy desktop.

another thing, did they fix gdm not using the proper refresh rate under wayland? when i used it last, my monitors native refresh rate is 165 (it defaults to 165 in my motherboards bios, inside a tty console, xorg defaults to 165hz, windows with no gpu drivers is 165hz, etc) but under gnome, gdm defaults to 60hz. causing my monitor to be very laggy as latency is super high. when i log in, it goes back to 165hz because in gnome i set my refresh rate to 165hz. but for some bizzare reason gdm doesn't listen to whats set in gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            From the report, the workaround is avoiding update to gjs-1.6.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Yoh should log a bug on that.
              +1

kaprikawn

Comment

There is a mention of Lastfm support in Gnome online accounts by default for Gnome 40, but I have it as well in gnome-online-accounts 3.38.1 and didn't do anything about it...
                Was it backported after the initial 3.38.0 release?
                Last edited by Mez'; 19 March 2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Mez' Not seeing it in Debian unstable GNOME 3.38.4. Maybe your distribution backported it?

Comment

Obviously it's not a good idea to update at this point if you want to use GNOME productively. I would wait for at least .1 releases of shell/mutter and related packages.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post

Same for VLC.

What I usually do is to create a symbolic link from my music directory to ~/Music and it works fine.
                      You can add directories in GNOME Settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X