GNOME 40 Release Candidate Arrives Ahead Of Next Week's Official Debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Release Candidate Arrives Ahead Of Next Week's Official Debut

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Release Candidate Arrives Ahead Of Next Week's Official Debut

The release candidate of GNOME 40 is available today while the official GNOME 40.0 debut is still on track for next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm -really- excited by some of the potential future updates with GTK4 and GNOME 40+. I see a path opening for a native GNOME-Wayland-Vulkan desktop environment.

I know a lot of people think that OpenGL or ES are the right tools for the job for Mutter and desktop apps, but I have a feeling there are going to be some major improvements in desktop experience once everything is rendering to Vulkan. I think it's going to end the X11-vs-Wayland and OpenGL-vs-Vulkan debates.

Comment

I've been using GNOME 40 (on Fedora 34) and it has been an all around positive experience, I quite like the new horizontal UX very much. However some basic stuff still seems to be missing.

For example, if I want to drag a window into it's own workspace I would like to be able to do so by dragging it in between the open space between. This works in the workspace overview on top, but not the larger overview below it.

I've also noticed that the performance of the animations seems to degrade FAST, just by adding a few windows. So I really hope GNOME 41 will be all about performance, because it's just not at an acceptable level for modern day standards.

Comment

GNOME Music is not so useful because it only wants to look for music in ~/Music/ but many people like to store their music on /media/Music/

Comment

Please let us have a Phoronix gnome4 headless virtual desktop (16 user) benchmark ryzen5000/zen3-epyc vs xeon:

you could have each user running a virt-manager in their desktop, running 1 vm where the vm is running 100 containers of alpine linux with a go binary running sqlite db doing stock trading or a virtual amazon buy/sell marketplace.
          Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 19 March 2021, 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling2

Comment

Only thing I want from Gnome is built-in window tiling (vertically), so I don't have to use third party stuff or make something myself to split in 4.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              GNOME Music is not so useful because it only wants to look for music in ~/Music/ but many people like to store their music on /media/Music/
              I thought the same but you can add directories in GNOME Settings.

Comment

Improved startup loading for GNOME Music
                I hope that means I can import my music collection now. Currently, I point it at my ~300gb folder, and it just locks and does nothing. It simply can't cope with that amount.

Comment

At least... please tell me.... there is an option to boot up on the desktop instead of Activities...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

I hope that means I can import my music collection now. Currently, I point it at my ~300gb folder, and it just locks and does nothing. It simply can't cope with that amount.
                    Yoh should log a bug on that.

Comment

Working...
                    X