• Show
Clear All

• andreano
    replied
    ​​
    Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    can we do film grain yet?
    One of the big questions! Really two:

* Is film grain synthesis finally usable? For one, I could not figure it out.
    * Can we at least turn off denoising? I think this may be very important to the success of AVIF, since blurry images is one of the critiques of AVIF.

I saw a healthy discussion in the reddit thread about this phoronix article, where BlueSwordM basically implemented that second escape hatch, someone claims to have the synthesis working, and wait, wswartzendruber started that discussion. Good to see!​​

Originally posted by BlueSwordM View Post
    I managed to get this [option to skip denoising] pushed in aomenc-av1 stable 3.0.0
    Congratulations, and thank you! Am I right that this could be of use for AVIF?
    Last edited by andreano; 21 March 2021, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    ↑ Duh, quality is not synonymous with bitrate. It's not too surprising that AV1 is efficient on anime when you know some of its unique features: The CDEF filter is made to preserve diagonal lines across flat areas (where other codecs produce lots of mosquito noise), and chroma from luma lets you code an edge only once instead of thrice.

Also, we are starting to see AV1 taking off in video conferencing, where bitrate definitely matters. As will real-time encoding speed, which I haven't seen too much handfast evidence of, but would love to see – is it fast enough yet (on laptops) if you crank the speed up to 7-9, max out the tiles & threads for the cores you have, and bring down the frame rate (and maybe resolution)?
    Last edited by andreano; 21 March 2021, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    Because size constraints are a thing. and 250Mb was my size constaint, and I am not braking a video into parts.
    I understand but most of the time I wouldn't want to compromise for such ridiculous limits. Sounds like a file sharing site, I especially
    would not want to for that.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

That doesn't make any sense. With such savings in size why push it that far to the point of quality loss? Just don't compress as much so there is no loss.
    Because size constraints are a thing. and 250Mb was my size constaint, and I am not braking a video into parts.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    AV1 is pretty awesome, I can re-encode a 1gb anime episode down to around 250Mb with minimal quality loss at cpu-6 2pass with minimal tweaks, using aomenc, though it took multiple hours lol,
    That doesn't make any sense. With such savings in size why push it that far to the point of quality loss? Just don't compress as much so there is no loss.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    AV1 is pretty awesome, I can re-encode a 1gb anime episode down to around 250Mb with minimal quality loss at cpu-6 2pass with minimal tweaks, using aomenc, though it took multiple hours lol,

Always excited to see new development in the AV1 world

Leave a comment:

• wswartzendruber
    replied
    And now that we're on v3.0, can we do film grain yet? Or is that still broken?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic AV1 Codec Library libaom 3.0-rc1 Released

AV1 Codec Library libaom 3.0-rc1 Released

Phoronix: AV1 Codec Library libaom 3.0-rc1 Released

Google has released libaom 3.0.0-rc1 as the AOMedia AV1 Codec Library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X