Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omer666
    replied
    This thread is probably the worst Gnome-related thread I've had to go through on these forums, and that is no small feat. Well, birdie may be gone but his legacy is alive and well, ready to pass the torch of flamewar along.

What have we got here? Well there is our good ol' hateful comment which tells us that if we dare use this god forbidden desktop environment, we're worsening humanity as a whole. No kidding.

There is also the traditional retrograde view "Windows does it better", "what's this Apple-inspired pile of crap"... Only to tell us sooner or later "user experience on macOS is so much better, no wonder the year of Linux desktop never happened..."

But some trolls can also be innovative: for the first time it's now AmigaOS - wait, in fact at the time it was called Amiga Workbench - that is magically becoming an authority. Well, if I remember well, it had no virtual desktops. End of story. You could pull the (mostly invisible) menu bar to access your desktop and do multitasking, but that's all.

Sooner or later some lunatic is gonna tell us Apple DOS had tiling, and Win 3.1 had compositing. Well let me tell you, my Atari ST had ray-tracing. True story.

​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Does being proprietary makes software inherently trash?
    From FLOSS point of view proprietary development model is a trash. The code itself not necessarily.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

Good for us. People should stop using proprietary trash.
    Does being proprietary makes software inherently trash?

Leave a comment:

• ManicRobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    people who keep using gnome/chrome/ms office and even game dev who choice directx api without clear reason

make me hate humanity
    Grrr, how dare people like/use something that I don't like/use!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    Do they still use that horrible user interface that looks like a mix of android/mac??

funny thing, about 5 years ago I complained that virtual desktops should move horizontally and not vertically but they refused my suggestion, what idiots... now with gnome 40 they are advertising their horizontal virtual desktops... hahaha took them 5 years to understand what is needed by the users. With that kind of attitude, gnome 1000 will look like a regular MATE/Cinnamon desktop
    It's not even all that new. AmigaOS has had horizontal virtual desktops for God knows how long now. Good to see GNOME finally catching up…

Leave a comment:

• ikeahloe
    replied
    vertical workspaces and dash allowed the design to be more balanced and breathable. It made the application dash closer to the activities button. It made the previews big enough to actually see what's in them. Also if you have multiple monitors in makes more sense that you look left and right at the monitors and the viurtual desktops go up and down like virtual roledexes, now it looks like the virtual desktops just move into eachother which is visually terrible. The current changes are completely bad for workspace usability and balanced design as everything is crammed into a vertical axis. It mostly looks alright aesthetically.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by ix900 View Post

That's a typical Linux user that you always run across. If they have kids, I won't be using the internet much longer
    Good for us. People should stop using proprietary trash.
    Last edited by Volta; 16 March 2021, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Let me get this clear, people who use GNOME "without clear reason" make you hate humanity?

Dude, get some help. Ain't none of your business who uses what software.
    That's a typical Linux user that you always run across. If they have kids, I won't be using the internet much longer

Leave a comment:

• lowlands
    replied
    Originally posted by zeehio View Post
    Back in my gnome 2 days I used to have virtual desktops in a 2x2 grid so I could move up/down or left/right. It was convenient because I needed less movements to switch from one desktop to another one (e.g. to go from 1 to 4 I used ctrl alt down-right instead of ctrl alt right-right-right).
    ​​​​

Back then I also used to set my windows on flames (animated) and I animated my transitions between virtual desktops as if they were sides of a cube... so there goes my good taste and convenience. That was a brand new possibility and I was young, what can I say...

​​​​
    Those were quite the days I fondly remember the cube animation and it looked absolutely glorious

Leave a comment:

• zeehio
    replied
    Back in my gnome 2 days I used to have virtual desktops in a 2x2 grid so I could move up/down or left/right. It was convenient because I needed less movements to switch from one desktop to another one (e.g. to go from 1 to 4 I used ctrl alt down-right instead of ctrl alt right-right-right).
    ​​​​

Back then I also used to set my windows on flames (animated) and I animated my transitions between virtual desktops as if they were sides of a cube... so there goes my good taste and convenience. That was a brand new possibility and I was young, what can I say...

​​​​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X