GNOME 40 Introducing Headless Native Backend, Virtual Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    SMP exists since the 60s and 64-bit computing since the 70s. The point is the implementation.
    Brilliant point!

Will use it in similar discussions, when someone say that thing X exists Y years xD

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Brilliant point!

Will use it in similar discussions, when someone say that thing X exists Y years xD
      Brainless parrotting without any original input never did anyone any good.

Comment

Can this be used for multiseat on one single video card?

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

Actually it's a very old idea. 30 years ago it was normal to have like 4 X clients to a server using XDMCP.
          Yes, and that was horribly unsafe.

There is also xpra you can use for remoting apps. But the nice thing about this implementation is not having to use a virtual X server.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
            WayVNC already works nicely, but you need sway or other wlroots WM.
            And a running session, so probably a display.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
              Actually main motivation for writing this was for people wanting to run a desktop on headless systems like servers, where they connect remotely to a desktop to run diagnosis etc.
              In the MR it says a render node is required. Does this mean we need some kind of 3D acceleration on the server?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Mez' And a special one for you mez. Nvidia/X11 stuff. Developed by people not wearing red hats.
                https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1726
                Please stop mentioning me. Forget my existence altogether so that I can freely forget yours. Thanks.

Comment

I haven't read the details but I'm not sure if remote display on servers is the primary use case for this (for one thing this is virtual monitor management, not virtual/remote input). It could be more targeted at applications like screen recording, streaming, display virtualisation for VMs/containers etc.

Comment

144Hz Nobody is saying that Gnome is a dictatorship, because it's not.

Gnome is an oligarchy.
                    As most of the open source software, for that matter.

Comment

Could this be used to use a tablet as a second monitor of sorts with VNC? What is best for this use case (lowest latency)

Comment

Working...
                      X