No announcement yet.

GNOME 40 Mutter Lands Wayland Presentation-Time Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year of the linux desktop was 2007 for me.
    I ditched Windows and have been very happy with Linux since.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Previously I used X.Org but now I have a bug where I can't move windows by dragging the the titlebar so I had to switch to Wayland which does not suffer from this bug.
      Fyi, it's already been solved.
      I switched to an Xorg session in hirsute today after upgrading gnome-shell and mutter packages which just hit the release package. There are very strange focus issues. Clicking on a window doesn't raise it to the front, alt-tab seems to only switch between a subset of the one windows. It's impossible to move windows with the mouse and resizing does not work. This occurred with: gnome-shell=3.38.3-3ubuntu1 mutter=3.38.3-3ubuntu1 Downgrading these packages fixed it: gnome-shell=3.38.3-2ubun...

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
        and the smplayer shell for mpv was kind of a pain on wayland with either blank video windows or a floating borderless window that didn't respond to keyboard shortcuts.
        Last time I checked (a couple months ago), it still hadn't been solved. And there's no other video player that is anywhere near as good for me (VLC, Gnome videos or Celluloid just feel like cheap fallbacks to me).

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          That random link with the random person having random problems with mpv is also precisely because of this: HE HAS NO CLUE!
          He was trying to run 4K videos with his severely outdated & underperforming Intel Haswell 7.5 Gen iGPU with dscale=mitchell & cscale=ewa_lanczos - of course his machine is going to drop frames like crazy, anything else would have quite literally been a miracle!
          And yes, watching full length films without a single dropped or even delayed frame on X11 with mpv is absolutely possible, as I have been doing for many years already! (With display-resample & activated frame interpolation.)
          This is you doing a works for me. the correction by Wayland presentation time and X11 Present is when its pushed to the limit. The error that will reduce how far to limit you can push the system is how good frame pacing is. Displaying every frame and not having a delay fame in a well resource system does not mean you are displaying every frame on the correct out put frame. Think you have a 30 FPS video on a 120hz monitor this means every video frame is meant to be displayed for 4 LCD panel frames so a frame being displayed for 3 here then the next frame displayed for 5 there looks mostly right with X11 present the values returned is tell the display program is is right.

This is you not knowing the problem Linuxxx and saying its right when there is a problem here. As I said generally this problem is that minor you don't notice it unless you intentionally go looking for it. But if you are pushing you system right to the edge the player being able to adjust its frame decoding/pacing can come important.

Yes pushed past limits you are going to drop frames question comes how many. The bigger the error in wayland present time/X11 Present information to player the more frames will be dropped because you will be processing frames that are going to be timed out before complete.

I pointed to that example for a reason. Yes common fool in this field like you to answer of course it will drop frames without being smart enough wake up that the total number of dropped frames the user will experience is linked to how well the player program can adjust its decoding to match the output required pace. Objective is to give the best possible user experience even when user pushing system past what is perfectly doable. Linuxxx your answer is buy newer hardware not provide the best possible on the old hardware. Remember Linuxxx if your hardware is only able to do 4K perfect one day you may want to play back 8K of something and you will want the best possible as well. Please note the best possible does not equal perfect. Yes the lack of ability best possible shows up in minor player pacing problems when well inside what the hardware can do being a extra frame here or there displayed or a frame skipped that would have been a duplicate on the LCD.

I should have been more clear when I was talking about being a frame late or a frame early instead of the right I compared to the audio that always there with intel on X11 without player knowing I was talking about in frames the monitor can display not the frame rate/frames of the video being played back. This is a error that does not show in your MPV dropped or added frames. Does show in your MPV dropped and added frames once you push right to limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            Last time I checked (a couple months ago), it still hadn't been solved. And there's no other video player that is anywhere near as good for me (VLC, Gnome videos or Celluloid just feel like cheap fallbacks to me).
            Last time I checked, SMPlayer was horribly outdated as in exposing deprecated and/or bugged mpv switches while at the same time not exposing the newer, properly working ones (evident e.g. in the HW acceleration section). IMHO the best solution nowadays for someone that absolutely can't do without a GUI that supports idle standby (i.e. staying open while no file is playing) would be best served by Celluloid + a handcrafted mpv.conf and maybe input.conf. Best of both worlds.
            Last edited by Nocifer; 09 March 2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

Last time I checked, SMPlayer was horribly outdated as in exposing deprecated and/or bugged mpv switches while at the same time not exposing the newer, properly working ones (evident e.g. in the HW acceleration section). IMHO the best solution nowadays for someone that absolutely can't do without a GUI that supports idle standby (i.e. staying open while no file is playing) would be best served by Celluloid + a handcrafted mpv.conf and maybe input.conf. Best of both worlds.
              Indeed, celluloid is growing on me, and getting excellent performance is doable with appropriate mpv.conf options. The one area that fits my use case better is smplayer's more robust playlist management.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Mez' Enjoy Ivan’s work. 100% meritocratic. 0% Red Hat.
                Repeat after me:
                • Red Hat non writing all the code does not mean they don't write most of it
                • Red Hat does not have to be the sole developer and maintainer of a project to control it
                I know you can do it. I believe in you

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Repeat after me:
                  • Red Hat non writing all the code does not mean they don't write most of it
                  • Red Hat does not have to be the sole developer and maintainer of a project to control it
                  I know you can do it. I believe in you
                  It might be or it might not be, but at least we see through it and bring it some challenge.

Which is why I'm not bothering with him anymore. Too much of a fanboy, he swallows everything that is thrown at him and regurgitates it ad nauseam without any kind of critical mind. Basically a troll. You can roll over him and he'll ask for more. Another good little soldier blindly following orders.
                  I didn't find an ignore list unfortunately.

Comment

Mez' I know, you're right, and I've stopped trying to reason with him. But sometimes it's fun poking him

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

I don't see anything related to hardware acceleration in Celluloid options. I'm not going to use some obscure conf file for a media player in 2021 (I didn't in 2010 either). Especially when vaapi works perfectly in SMPlayer and is 2 clicks away (gpu in video output and vaapi in Performance/Hardware decoding)
                      I don't see anything to configure the subtitles size, color, position (just move them up/down in the keyboard shortcuts instead of in a menu).
                      I don't see where I can download the subtitles related to the video. I'm not talking about loading local subtitles. Browsing websites, unzipping and loading is annoying when you can do a one-click download in SMPlayer for most videos.
                      I can tweak subtitles delays to re-synchronize the subtitles with the video by 0.1 seconds, and that's it. How about previous or next line which is easier to re-synchronize in general?

How can I see the details of the video (audio channels, codec, encoding resolution)?
                      Also, Celluloid is keyboard-centric. It's not the best UX for beginners.

I mean, it's just a 5-minutes comparison and I already feel frustrated in my entertainflow. I've used these so often for the last 10-12 years, it's too convenient for me not to have these features. It feels like a serious downgrade in my video experience.

As an extra (workflow independent), where can I find alternative themes?

Comment

Working...
                      X