X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    stiiixy

• stiiixy
    replied
    Apache has quite a bit of active software. It mostly functions quietly in the background. You need only investigate.

Leave a comment:

• Polleke

• Polleke
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    It actually brings up a more interesting question of where such projects should live.
    Hmm, GNU? Not everybody is a fan of that

Linuxfoundation? I think that is mostly software that lives around the Linux kernel?

Apache, where things go to die? Not sure if that attracts new developers.

So maybe KDE is not that bad. If this software is used all over KDE software, some people will support it going forward.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    So we should let FUD rule the decision making processes? Lots of things *could* happen.
    It's FUD when it's baseless assumptions, not when the company is already doing it partially.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Because if they closed the LTS releases some day they might close down all releases.
    So we should let FUD rule the decision making processes? Lots of things *could* happen.

One should remember that the current contractual requirement is that Qt source code must be made available under a free license no more than a year after release, or almost all of the IP of the Qt company could be released to the public domain (as with all else, the agreement more than just that, but that is probably the important part here). Of course the Qt company could choose to violate that agreement (which would likely result first in negotiation, and perhaps litigation), or the Qt company could try to buy themselves out of the contract (if they sent the KDE foundation enough money the foundation might accept changes to the contract), or if one wants to believe in a most evil Qt company, they could play a long game and try to stack the board to allow contractual changes.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man

• Nth_man
    replied
    As
    Yeayo guy
    Yeayo guy wrote:

Qt is GPL.

All the changes in the LTS that will now be commercial only, will be available in Qt6 under GPL license in the future.

All GPL software made with Qt will remain GPL now and in the future.
    Nth_man
    Last edited by Nth_man; 09 March 2021, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Raploz View Post
    Why's everyone so concerned about LTS QT? KDE don't need and don't care about it anyway.
    Because if they closed the LTS releases some day they might close down all releases.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember

• CommunityMember
    replied
    I am not really sure if the KDE umbrella is the right choice for taking on exiv2 support moving forward, but I certainly have no better recommendation.

It actually brings up a more interesting question of where such projects should live. Certainly large projects have evolved large communities, but there is a lot of software which more and more things depend on but are supported mostly by dedicated individuals. Sure one can fork the software in the case of a bus incident, but should not there be a place (a new umbrella foundation?) where such expected to be available (but typically much smaller than something like glibc) utility libraries have a formal home.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif
    After Qt stop delivering LTS for open source software, I don't think it's a wise decision to join KDE for the time being. Should at least wait until they solve that issue.
    Exiv2 doesn't even use Qt. Were you trying to troll? If so, then this was a failed attempt.

Leave a comment:

• usta

• usta
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because we're in a bit of a grey area where all the KDE devs technically have is the Qt 5.15.2 release from last November because the latest Qt 5.15.3 isn't available for open source devs anymore and Qt 6 isn't fully ready and, from what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), won't necessarily be KDE ready until one of the Qt 6 point releases like 6.1 or 6.2.
    Nope we are not in the gray area, right now The KF5 is QT min 5.14 and QT 5.15 will be min at around 26 Nov 2021
    ( you can check from here :https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies )
    So it is clear that we almost have 10 months more time even for moving to 5.15
    Then after 6(i mean after a total of 16) months, we will be in the gray area. Because the system was to support the last 3 releases of Qt.
    Until that time arrives ( i mean from now to 16 months ) Qt6.2 will be completed with its missing parts (like qt multimedia, ... )
    In summary, we might be in the gray area just for in translation process which was nothing new, and still, continue to progress smoothly
    ( you can check the process on https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/kf6/ )

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron

• Jumbotron
    replied
    What's stopping the Exiv2 team from joining the Open Invention Network on their own? Why do they need KDE to do that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X