Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exiv2 Looks To Team Up With The KDE Project

Phoronix: Exiv2 Looks To Team Up With The KDE Project

Exiv2, the widely-used C++ metadata library / tools for dealing with image metadata via EXIF / IPTC / XMP standards and ICC profiles is looking to join the KDE project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Setif
    After Qt stop delivering LTS for open source software, I don't think it's a wise decision to join KDE for the time being. Should at least wait until they solve that issue.
    exiv2 doesn't use Qt.

Comment

Why's everyone so concerned about LTS QT? KDE don't need and don't care about it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Raploz View Post
        Why's everyone so concerned about LTS QT? KDE don't need and don't care about it anyway.
        True. In fact, Qt didn't have a LTS release until 2011 (4.8), and that was OK.

KDE has always built on the latest stable Qt version, not the LTS one.

Comment

Because we're in a bit of a grey area where all the KDE devs technically have is the Qt 5.15.2 release from last November because the latest Qt 5.15.3 isn't available for open source devs anymore and Qt 6 isn't fully ready and, from what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), won't necessarily be KDE ready until one of the Qt 6 point releases like 6.1 or 6.2.

Comment

What's stopping the Exiv2 team from joining the Open Invention Network on their own? Why do they need KDE to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because we're in a bit of a grey area where all the KDE devs technically have is the Qt 5.15.2 release from last November because the latest Qt 5.15.3 isn't available for open source devs anymore and Qt 6 isn't fully ready and, from what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), won't necessarily be KDE ready until one of the Qt 6 point releases like 6.1 or 6.2.
              Nope we are not in the gray area, right now The KF5 is QT min 5.14 and QT 5.15 will be min at around 26 Nov 2021
              ( you can check from here :https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Policies )
              So it is clear that we almost have 10 months more time even for moving to 5.15
              Then after 6(i mean after a total of 16) months, we will be in the gray area. Because the system was to support the last 3 releases of Qt.
              Until that time arrives ( i mean from now to 16 months ) Qt6.2 will be completed with its missing parts (like qt multimedia, ... )
              In summary, we might be in the gray area just for in translation process which was nothing new, and still, continue to progress smoothly
              ( you can check the process on https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/kf6/ )

Comment

Originally posted by Setif
                After Qt stop delivering LTS for open source software, I don't think it's a wise decision to join KDE for the time being. Should at least wait until they solve that issue.
                Exiv2 doesn't even use Qt. Were you trying to troll? If so, then this was a failed attempt.

Comment

I am not really sure if the KDE umbrella is the right choice for taking on exiv2 support moving forward, but I certainly have no better recommendation.

It actually brings up a more interesting question of where such projects should live. Certainly large projects have evolved large communities, but there is a lot of software which more and more things depend on but are supported mostly by dedicated individuals. Sure one can fork the software in the case of a bus incident, but should not there be a place (a new umbrella foundation?) where such expected to be available (but typically much smaller than something like glibc) utility libraries have a formal home.

Comment

Because if they closed the LTS releases some day they might close down all releases.

Comment

Working...
                    X